Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Brand new baby!

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:25 AM
  • 12 Replies
I had my baby July 2 and am breastfeeding. We had the hardest time learning to breastfeed together and still have trouble at times. So, I may pop in here with questions every now and then. I know some weight loss is normal, but I'm worried because he was born 7lb11oz. He was 7lb3oz last night and they said he's close to having to be supplement with formula because he is at 7% wt loss and 10% is when they need supplement. I worry myself sick about whether he is getting enough colostrum or any at all. He had 1 wet diaper on day 1, 1 big one yday and few drops in another diaper, but had several bms. So, as long as he's having bms, that shows he's getting colostrum right? Would he still have those bms if he wasn't getting the colostrum?
CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:37 AM
Hey mama! I had my dd3 July 2 too! Congrats!

You are doing great! That weight loss is normal. He's getting plenty. Hang in there :) I'm sure someone will pop in with questions and numbers for you. I just wanted reassure you and say hi!
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:51 AM
Welcome and congrats!!!
A loss of. 12.3oz would be a. 10% loss, but that alone isn't an indication for supplementing.
How often are you nursing , should be offering at least every 2 hrs.
We look to see 1 diaper per day of life, so sounds like baby is perfect. :) and lots of poop is very reassuring!
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 4, 2014 at 7:20 AM
Congrats!!! All sounds well, and those poops count as 2 diapers, along with heavy wets :-)
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 4, 2014 at 8:26 AM
It's sounds like all is well. A loss of up to 10% can be normal in an uncomplicated vaginal birth with no fluids given. A loss of up to 13% can be normal in a vaginal or cesarean birth when iv fluids are given.

ifyou do need to supplement, pump or hand express and supplement with your own milk via syringe, open cup, or spoon, not formula and not a bottle.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 11:21 AM
You're doing fine, despite the bad information you're getting from the medical professionals! Up to 12% weight loss is acceptable particularly if you had IV fluids in labor. Poopy diapers count as two diapers--you're ahead of the game there! Just keep him in a diaper skin-to-skin with you and nurse at every wiggle. Breastfed babies can take up to four weeks to regain birth weight. I would be looking for a different pediatrician or even a family practitioner.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM
What everyone else said! Everything sounds great!
dixiegurl223626
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Thanks and congrats on your July baby too!

Quoting BabyPink07: Hey mama! I had my dd3 July 2 too! Congrats! You are doing great! That weight loss is normal. He's getting plenty. Hang in there :) I'm sure someone will pop in with questions and numbers for you. I just wanted reassure you and say hi!

dixiegurl223626
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 9:43 PM

He was a csection birth with iv fluids. I'm still in the hospital and its the nurses trying to get me to give him formula in a cup to supplement. The pediatrician is fine with his weight. My milk came in today, so I am feeling alot better about him eating. I can hear him swallow alot better and the breasts feel so much better after he eats. Now If I have both breasts engorged, he will eat off of one and fall asleep about 10-15 min in, and then refuse other breast. So, do I let him stay on one breast at a feeding so he gets more since he falls asleep? What do I do about the other breast that is engorged? Leave it? Pump it? I know its the one to use next feeding, but they sure are painful.

Quoting MusherMaggie: You're doing fine, despite the bad information you're getting from the medical professionals! Up to 12% weight loss is acceptable particularly if you had IV fluids in labor. Poopy diapers count as two diapers--you're ahead of the game there! Just keep him in a diaper skin-to-skin with you and nurse at every wiggle. Breastfed babies can take up to four weeks to regain birth weight. I would be looking for a different pediatrician or even a family practitioner.

Mammacra
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 9:50 PM
You can supplant with pumped colostrum or breast milk you DO NOT have to give your baby formula. Newborns in general are lazy eaters & at 2 days old still very very sleepy. Strip that baby down to nurse get a good latch. Massage & gently squeeze to help get as much into baby while latched. The baby will swallow what goes in his mouth. When it's time to nurse breathe don't get nervous. Express just a bit and rub it on his lips to stimulate him. Put him to breast and don't settle for a bad latch. The first few weeks are the hardest. I had my 5th baby in April. She's almost 3 months now she's ebf no bottles ever! Our first few weeks sucked :-(. Earth mama angel baby nipple butter worked wonders on my nips! I was shocked at how they still were sore & chapped I thought by #5 those puppies would have tough ended up!
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 4, 2014 at 10:50 PM
With a C-section and IV fluids, up to 12-13% loss is to be expected!
Let him nurse on one side as much as he wants. You can offer the other side when he's done, but it is okay if he doesn't want it. Hand express the other side just enough for relief if it becomes unbearably engorged. Pumping will cause the engorgement to last longer.

Quoting dixiegurl223626:

He was a csection birth with iv fluids. I'm still in the hospital and its the nurses trying to get me to give him formula in a cup to supplement. The pediatrician is fine with his weight. My milk came in today, so I am feeling alot better about him eating. I can hear him swallow alot better and the breasts feel so much better after he eats. Now If I have both breasts engorged, he will eat off of one and fall asleep about 10-15 min in, and then refuse other breast. So, do I let him stay on one breast at a feeding so he gets more since he falls asleep? What do I do about the other breast that is engorged? Leave it? Pump it? I know its the one to use next feeding, but they sure are painful.

Quoting MusherMaggie: You're doing fine, despite the bad information you're getting from the medical professionals! Up to 12% weight loss is acceptable particularly if you had IV fluids in labor. Poopy diapers count as two diapers--you're ahead of the game there! Just keep him in a diaper skin-to-skin with you and nurse at every wiggle. Breastfed babies can take up to four weeks to regain birth weight. I would be looking for a different pediatrician or even a family practitioner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)