Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Newborn Sucking issues

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi everyone! I'm a new mommy and my nine day old is having breastfeeding issues. Whenever we try to nurse or even when I finger feed or bottle feed her she only suckles less than time times in a row and then takes a break. This is even when she is wide awake and is not falling asleep. Any ideas what could be causing this?

by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:25 PM
Is she jaundiced? Also, can you take a picture of her mouth with the top lip turned up and one with her mouth open, like when she's crying? We may be able to see if there are ties. How many diapers in twenty four hours?
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:26 PM
Is she having trouble keeping the latch? There could be a tongue tie keeping her from being able to latch and suck properly.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:39 PM
It could also be overactive letdown/oversupply. Try reclining to nurse: you lean back, she goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Try not to use bottles; the sucking mechanism is very different and can lead to rejection of the breast. Does she drop off and not re-latch after the three sucks? Usually, there is some variety of a "suck, suck, suck, swallow" pattern.
MrsMcF2014
by New Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:04 PM
She was jaundiced from approx days 3-6 but is all better now. I will post that pic as soon as I an able to snap one like that. She is currently producing about 6 wet and 2-3 dirty diapers per day, but I am pretty much only finger and bottles feeding breast milk and formula at this point because she was not getting enough milk through our attempts at nursing.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Is she jaundiced? Also, can you take a picture of her mouth with the top lip turned up and one with her mouth open, like when she's crying? We may be able to see if there are ties. How many diapers in twenty four hours?
MrsMcF2014
by New Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Yes, mostly she just latches on, takes a few sucks and then just lays there with my nipple in her mouth. We've never really had much success latching from the beginning though.

Quoting aehanrahan: Is she having trouble keeping the latch? There could be a tongue tie keeping her from being able to latch and suck properly.
MrsMcF2014
by New Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:09 PM
I will definitely try that position. I try to finger feed as much as possible but sometimes it just does not work out. When I do bottle feed I use the pace method. If she really starving she sometimes stays latches and continues the sucking pattern, but if she is nice and calm she will just latch on, take a few sucks, and then drop off.

Quoting MusherMaggie: It could also be overactive letdown/oversupply. Try reclining to nurse: you lean back, she goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Try not to use bottles; the sucking mechanism is very different and can lead to rejection of the breast. Does she drop off and not re-latch after the three sucks? Usually, there is some variety of a "suck, suck, suck, swallow" pattern.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Get a wrap or sling, undress her to her diaper, open your shirt and keep her skin-to-skin with you. The stimulus will help her. Google "Find an IBCLC" (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant). I would try to supplement more with your own pumped milk and an SNS (Supplemental Nursing System). The formula sits heavier on her stomach and won't help the sleepiness/laziness.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN