Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is this peditrician crazy or am I out of the loop?

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:16 PM
  • 16 Replies
Friends 3mo baby. Exclusively breastfed.. started adding formula and baby stopped pooping regularly, became gassy etc so mom went back to breastfeeding exclusively. During that time her peditrician told her to give baby prune juice and if no poop for 2 days then give suppository...

I have never heard of this agressive kind of treatment for 3 month old.. I thought baby could go 10 days at times and constapation with bf baby was change in texture not frequency..

My kiddos were different so I wanted to reach out to you awesome ladies for information and advice for her.

Thanks!
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zazayam
by Nicki on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I think it's different with formula, but I have no idea. It does sound like a pretty aggressive treatment though...

hip2it
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:24 PM
My seven month old poops about once a week. Always has since the day he was born. Pedi says that's just his system and nothing wrong with it. He's not constipated. Its liquid. As far as I know bf babies not pooping every day is still considered normal.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Even with formula, up to 5 days isn't really a concern. After that, they just want to keep an eye on it.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:46 PM
2 moms liked this

By the time my 4 babies were at the 9-12 week stage, we were seeing poop once every 3 to 10 days. But on a regular basis we see moms here who are told to give prune juice or are pushing suppositories. Baby sure shouldn't be getting the juice before 6 months, and is not so great after that either. And baby doesn't need suppository to "fix" something that isn't even broke. Poor babies get dependent on these measures to poop. 

shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:18 AM
With DS1 (he was ff from 7 weeks on) I was told to give an oz of prune juice with an oz of water 2 times a day until he pooped if he had gone more than 3 days.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:55 AM
This! Besides, breastmilk is nature's best laxative.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

By the time my 4 babies were at the 9-12 week stage, we were seeing poop once every 3 to 10 days. But on a regular basis we see moms here who are told to give prune juice or are pushing suppositories. Baby sure shouldn't be getting the juice before 6 months, and is not so great after that either. And baby doesn't need suppository to "fix" something that isn't even broke. Poor babies get dependent on these measures to poop. 

tiffsgrandma
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:01 AM

WOW I must be older than I thought. 3 kids and 12 grandkids later and formula only for all and they all pooped every day, sometimes twice. 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting tiffsgrandma:

WOW I must be older than I thought. 3 kids and 12 grandkids later and formula only for all and they all pooped every day, sometimes twice. 

It's because formula has an overload of nutrients that are not well absorbed. Breastmilk is much better absorbed, with much less waste.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:39 AM
2 moms liked this

Heh heh... the first grandchild made you older than you thought. **grin**

But yeah, thre's a lot of "unecessary" stuff in formula that doesn't get absorobed, and it's gotta go out. Breastmilk is more efficiently used by the body, leaving very little waste.

Quoting tiffsgrandma:

dreamarrow
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 12:30 PM
My son is eb and he still poops everyday at 2 months. I'm definitely curious to see if that will change.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN