Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

LC Appt today

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:50 PM
  • 26 Replies
We had an appt with a LC and I felt so happy she A) knew what I was talking about in regards to Michael's lip tie and I felt she did good in checking for both lip and tongue tie. And B) was able to give a recommendation if we need to get it revised!

Baby gained 5.9oz in just 4 days!! (We struggled with weight gain, it took almost a month for him to get back to birth weight)

LC was able to tell us he has a lip tie, but it's not severe. So I'm thinking of waiting a few weeks to see if it stretches out on its own, as we've been having great nursing relationship so far.

Just a happy momma!! :)
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:59 PM
Did you see someone in your area? What did she say about the tongue?
jrsmommy0427
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Yes I have Kaiser and they had their own lactation department. She said no tongue tie and I can't really remember the exact reason why but she felt around and had baby suck on her finger for a bit also to feel.

Quoting aehanrahan: Did you see someone in your area? What did she say about the tongue?
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:52 PM
I don't know about Kaiser LCs there, but the ones here aren't very good.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Ties dont stretch in my experience..its a big myth, if he has a lip tie I am sure he has a posterior tie..you can tell that by having baby suck your finger

HUGS momma I am glad he is gaining ok now, but worries me about those ties

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Ties don't stretch on their own. Lip ties are sometimes broken when a child falls, but dental decay can occur before then. Is this an IBCLC?
jrsmommy0427
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Ties dont stretch in my experience..its a big myth, if he has a lip tie I am sure he has a posterior tie..you can tell that by having baby suck your finger

HUGS momma I am glad he is gaining ok now, but worries me about those ties

She did have him suck on her finger for a bit. She mentioned he had a high pallet, almost a bubble pallet also.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

jrsmommy0427
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I don't remember if she was IBCLC. My first born had cavities early and I just attributed it to how long we let him have the bottle and cow's milk. 

Quoting MusherMaggie: Ties don't stretch on their own. Lip ties are sometimes broken when a child falls, but dental decay can occur before then. Is this an IBCLC?

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Humor us and see if you can get a couple of pictures of his mouth; one with the top lip turned up, and one with his mouth open, like when he's crying.
jrsmommy0427
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 11:21 AM

This pic is from last week, I'm waiting for him to wake up to take more. We've already noticed a difference in his tongue, just 2 days ago he started sticking it out and it goes straight out.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jul. 8, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Babies with posterior tongue ties have no problem sticking their tongues out. The restriction is with elevation.

Quoting jrsmommy0427:

This pic is from last week, I'm waiting for him to wake up to take more. We've already noticed a difference in his tongue, just 2 days ago he started sticking it out and it goes straight out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN