Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I hate nursing lately

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:15 PM
  • 18 Replies
My 8 month old is painful to nurse lately. Not only is she scratching and pinching while I nurse her but she kicks and even crawls up my body to nearly upside down during the feeding. I can not get her to just sit there and eat.
For the last week I just dread feeding time and I'm all scratched and bruised. If I try to get her to knock it off and just eat she pushes away from me to go crawl around. She will just skip eating.
I don't know what to do other than pump and give her bottles but I hate pumping! It's such a pain.
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suroundedbyboys
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:36 PM
I went through this when my dd was about the same age. The pinching esp made me crazy. When she did anything she wasn't suppose to I would war. Her to please stop pinching, biting etc and tell her if she didn't she was getting down. She would continue and I would gently unlatch her and sit her on the floor. She learned quickly and now we are still nursing she will be 3 in 1 month :)
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:05 AM
2 moms liked this
Kellymom just reposted this today on their fb page. "It's ok to say no to toddlers". While I'm thinking the title is aimed for those with older babes, it addresses some of these earlier issues.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/breastfeeding/breastfeeding-boundaries-its-okay-to-say-no-to-your-toddler#.U7ttrdDD_qC
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:20 AM
Nursing Manners on Kellymom.com. you do not have to tolerate this behavior. Set her down and walk away. No bottles, and no solids until she nurses nicely. She will not starve herself, but she will get the message. Hang tough, Mama!,
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:00 AM
Yep!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Nursing Manners on Kellymom.com. you do not have to tolerate this behavior. Set her down and walk away. No bottles, and no solids until she nurses nicely. She will not starve herself, but she will get the message. Hang tough, Mama!,
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:21 AM
Thanks! I needed to read that!

Quoting mostlymaydays: Kellymom just reposted this today on their fb page. "It's ok to say no to toddlers". While I'm thinking the title is aimed for those with older babes, it addresses some of these earlier issues.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/breastfeeding/breastfeeding-boundaries-its-okay-to-say-no-to-your-toddler#.U7ttrdDD_qC
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:23 AM
Good point. I think part of the problem is she doesn't care if I won't nurse when she can get solids. Id rather she nursed more and ate solids less though

Quoting MusherMaggie: Nursing Manners on Kellymom.com. you do not have to tolerate this behavior. Set her down and walk away. No bottles, and no solids until she nurses nicely. She will not starve herself, but she will get the message. Hang tough, Mama!,
1TallMamaCA
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I hated every minute... no second of breastfeeding.  I got mastitis , clogged Montgomery glands... 

But I breastfed for 2 years and 7 months.. had I not gotten pregnant and dried out 3 weeks ago, I still likely would be. Because I am either a masochist or just to weak to refuse breast lmao 

What i would do at that stage when my ds did the painful fullsuction pull back often scraping teeth was pull off and say nope , you hurt me then no boob.  One tip i learned from the drsears book lol was if a baby bites push your breast inwards babys need to breathe is higher than need to bite lol 

shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:21 AM
1 mom liked this

She should care since she doesnt get one crumb of solids until she nurses nicely.  DS2 did the scratching and pullling and climbing.  He thought if he fussed he would get to skip nursing and get the table food.  My mom let him skip the bottle once and have food so he thought that was an everyday thing.  He was very upset when we all sat down to eat and he got nothing.  He then wanted to nurse nicely and then he got the solids after.

Quoting NDADanceMom: Good point. I think part of the problem is she doesn't care if I won't nurse when she can get solids. Id rather she nursed more and ate solids less though

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely no solids until she has nursed nicely. When she's doing the pinching, pulling, crawling, tell her no, put her down, and go about your business. She gets nothing else until she's nice while nursing.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Try a nursing necklace and see if that will distract her enough so she can get a decent nursing session in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)