Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Tips of pushy Nurses after birth? its long but HEELLPP

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:38 AM
  • 19 Replies

I posted something similar in the Pregnancy group but thought I would have more luck here. 

My last baby I breastfed from birth to 2years and 7 months... hes been weaned about three weeks due to drying out since I am 22 weeks pregnant. Now for my problem.

I delivered him on 11/1/11 via cesction, eed was 11/11/11. Well i am now going to deliver on 11/7/11 and my edd is 11/11/14. 

I am stuck using the same hospital as last time since i have the same doctor. The problem is the "Newborn Inn", these nurses pushed formula before i was even off the operating table. Ds was 9lbs 2 oz and 22 in no GD. Just big because i am big 6'3 and 190 when not pregnant.  His blood sugar was low because the OR was late I fasted four hours past my surgery time. 

Luckily i produced before i gave birth and pumped the night before. I had two 1 oz bottles in a cooler with ice packs. Why ? because with my first son this hospital pushed formula so bad and being a single mom I caved. This time I had an incredible support system and a very pro bfing dh. 

My dh told them no, she pumped, the nurse went and got it and said if this doesnt work we use formula. He sucked it down perfect.  blood sugar was fine. 2 hours later they push formula again, dh says nope i have more pumped. and he feed ds. 

I got out of recovery 4 hours after and came up, dh brought ds to me, since it is a newborn stay in room hospital. As dh is handing me ds a nurse comes in with ready to use bottles , I say no thank you I am breast feeding. She actually said it was better for my health if i formula fed so i could heal faster, i said no thank you again. Every single nurse for the 2 nights and 3 days I was there pushed formula. 

The supposed lactation consultant pushed formula, and said DS wasnt latch properly so he wasnt being fed right. The to prove it to me weighed him, right after his feed. He gained an oz and a half on his birth weight. I asked her to leave. 

2 nights and 3 days i dealt with this crap, They wouldnt even let me leave without taking a formula sample diaper bag. The day I got out I filed a complaint. They are supposed to encourage breastfeeding, it says so on every dang thing they hand you. 

I am/was using wic as well, and WIC filed a complaint as well. 

So here i am having to deliver at the same place, and i am tempted to make blankets , onsies and hats that say BREAST MILK ONLY . 

Dh will only be able to stay the first night, since work and school conflict. Plus the amount of kids we have lol So I wont have his .. well back bone. 

Anyone know of any thing i can do? signs or things i can print? Because i dont feel like dealing with this same crap again. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Ugh!  I hate your hospital and I don't even know where it is!!  :)  I would first, TELL your doctor about what goes on there.  Do you HAVE to use that doctor?  You can switch, even now.  It sounds like you did everything right the first time around.  Why was it 4 hours though before you saw your son?  Ask about having him in the recovery room with you.  All 3 of mine never left my side, save for about 20 minutes for their hearing test and that 24 hour mark blood test (done at the same time and DH was there with them).  They stayed in the OR with me then came to the recovery room with me.  And I was only in there for about an hour.  I actually do like the idea of making onesies and signs that say BF only.  Is there anyone else who can stay with you the majority of the day after your DH has to leave?  It will help to have someone else JUST in case.  And if all hell breaks loose, ask for a patient advocate. 

1TallMamaCA
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:54 AM

I have MS so i can not get partial , I need full anesthesia, so thats why recovery is longer. The reason I want to stay with my dr is its a great dr and practice, and they now my history health issues. My first a dd was a 27 weeker lived one week, was hit by a drunkdriver full uterin rupture. My second was ods and he was a 34 weeker, and my water started leaking at 28 weeks, with my last ds it was 38 weeks but contractions started at 30 weeks, so its better with my known history.

No one else can stay, but dh plan is he will not leave until i can get out of bed the next day. We also live two blocks from this hospital so thats another reason why i have to use it, but he can quickly come so thats a plus.

Ya i think since this is my last I will be more stern, since I will never be in there again. (getting tubal) 

if things go on during my stay i will file a complaint while still in their care. 

Quoting jackiewal10:

Ugh!  I hate your hospital and I don't even know where it is!!  :)  I would first, TELL your doctor about what goes on there.  Do you HAVE to use that doctor?  You can switch, even now.  It sounds like you did everything right the first time around.  Why was it 4 hours though before you saw your son?  Ask about having him in the recovery room with you.  All 3 of mine never left my side, save for about 20 minutes for their hearing test and that 24 hour mark blood test (done at the same time and DH was there with them).  They stayed in the OR with me then came to the recovery room with me.  And I was only in there for about an hour.  I actually do like the idea of making onesies and signs that say BF only.  Is there anyone else who can stay with you the majority of the day after your DH has to leave?  It will help to have someone else JUST in case.  And if all hell breaks loose, ask for a patient advocate. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Oh wow, you have had a lot going on. :(  Under full anesthesia, how long are you actually out?  Once you are awake and have control of your limbs again ;) you should be able to have your baby with you.  Is it all 4 hours?  And yep!!  Just put your foot down.  Bring out the mama bear.  Become a psycho bitch if that's what it takes.  And totally don't hesitate to file a complaint. 

Quoting 1TallMamaCA:

I have MS so i can not get partial , I need full anesthesia, so thats why recovery is longer. The reason I want to stay with my dr is its a great dr and practice, and they now my history health issues. My first a dd was a 27 weeker lived one week, was hit by a drunkdriver full uterin rupture. My second was ods and he was a 34 weeker, and my water started leaking at 28 weeks, with my last ds it was 38 weeks but contractions started at 30 weeks, so its better with my known history.

No one else can stay, but dh plan is he will not leave until i can get out of bed the next day. We also live two blocks from this hospital so thats another reason why i have to use it, but he can quickly come so thats a plus.

Ya i think since this is my last I will be more stern, since I will never be in there again. (getting tubal) 

if things go on during my stay i will file a complaint while still in their care. 

Quoting jackiewal10:

1TallMamaCA
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:07 AM

when I fully come out of it and the observe me awake for 30 mins then i can go upstairs to the new baby boy, due to my MS i am actually better after birth lol move smother and everything. Pregnancy wears on me thats why this is my last. This one was actually an opps. 

I had bf on demand till last nov. then i started weaning, my cycle finally came back, and even though dh knew... he wouldnt listen and i got pregnant my first cycle . lol I mean i cant complain too much i have had one cycle since feb 2011 , and that was the cycle he got me this time. Ironically i am due at the exact same time as last time.  EDD decided off of Gestation sized ultrasound.  basically putting me under and getting me ready takes around 15 to 30 mins, then its fast getting baby out, then it placenta out, and sewing me back together which is about another 30 mins, so I am out for about an hour, then 2 hourish to come out of it, the 30 min of observation so anywhere from 3-4 hours start to finish. This time will be slightly longer since they are also doing the tubal while I am open. 

Quoting jackiewal10:

Oh wow, you have had a lot going on. :(  Under full anesthesia, how long are you actually out?  Once you are awake and have control of your limbs again ;) you should be able to have your baby with you.  Is it all 4 hours?  And yep!!  Just put your foot down.  Bring out the mama bear.  Become a psycho bitch if that's what it takes.  And totally don't hesitate to file a complaint. 

Quoting 1TallMamaCA:

Quoting jackiewal10:

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Can you get a doula if you cant change hospitals?
1TallMamaCA
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Quoting Precious333: Can you get a doula if you cant change hospitals?

Its a repeat full anesthesia planned Cesarean , so I wouldn't need a doula.  I am bed bound with a  catheter for a full 24 hr post op. 

228mommy922
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't have this problem my hospital us pro breastfeeding.

However a friend did, so her second she stated before she delivered there was to be no formula and to not even ask. The nurse came in and actually tried to start feeding her dd a bottle of formula. She demanded the nurse put the baby down. She had the head nurse come in and she flipped and said if one more person tries to force formula on me I will sue!

She didn't have another problem lol
japanmommy
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 2:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Call ahead, try and speak to the team leader. Maybe get in touch with management. Let them know what happened last time, and how you expect that not to happen this time. You can at any time request a nurse no longer be your or your babies nurse. Write down names. Good luck!
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Post partum.doula can help you make sure everything goes as you wish after baby is born, especially of your dh cant be there the whole time in the hospital. Also,.it would be wise to make a birth plan (or post partum plan) to gice to the doctor and nursing staff. The doula can help you make a pp birth plan as well.

Quoting 1TallMamaCA:

Its a repeat full anesthesia planned Cesarean , so I wouldn't need a doula.  I am bed bound with a  catheter for a full 24 hr post op. 

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
This! Just because you're having a c section doesn't mean you don't need post partum support. And if the hospital doesn't provide it, hire your own!

Quoting Precious333: Post partum.doula can help you make sure everything goes as you wish after baby is born, especially of your dh cant be there the whole time in the hospital. Also,.it would be wise to make a birth plan (or post partum plan) to gice to the doctor and nursing staff. The doula can help you make a pp birth plan as well.

Quoting 1TallMamaCA:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)