Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

poop questions

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:59 AM
  • 6 Replies

I'm a new breastfeeder. My son was born wednesday. Milk is in and his poops are yellow seedy as they should be. My concern is...should he be pooping after every feeding? I let him eat whenever he shows signs of hunger and sometimes that can be every hour. He poops after every feeding and sometimes in between. He's also gassy. I'm wondering if it is the stool softner they told me to take daily at discharge. I still havent had a bowel movement since my csection wednesday. Or could it be the pain medication they gave me? Or is it normal for him to poop this much as a breastfed baby? Thanks!

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:00 AM
It's perfectly normal for him to poop that much. That's a good thing. No worries!
dixiegurl223626
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:06 AM

and passing alot of gas too? it leaves marks in his diapers. i didnt know if i need to modify my diet or meds or something. i'm glad all this poop is normal. i was starting to worry.

Quoting K8wizzo: It's perfectly normal for him to poop that much. That's a good thing. No worries!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:17 AM
The gassiness is also normal! His body is new to digesting and pooping!
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:27 AM

Until all 3 of my babies were around 6ish weeks old I had to change diapers before and after eating.  While a baby is nursing, the movement is helping everything move along in the digestive track. Which is why you have to change after.  ;)

Its all completely normal.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:31 AM
Baby is fine and normal. Ask for a suppository for yourself--that works much faster than taking stool softener by mouth.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:17 AM
Perfectly normal. We called my youngest "Stink". :) Welcome to the #1 past time of motherhood: worrying about everything.

Most babies are perfectly fine with mom eating a normal diet. It's actually fairly rare that they have sensitivities. The biggest cause of breastfeeding problems is an incorrect latch, but it sounds like you're okay there.

Quoting dixiegurl223626:

and passing alot of gas too? it leaves marks in his diapers. i didnt know if i need to modify my diet or meds or something. i'm glad all this poop is normal. i was starting to worry.

Quoting K8wizzo: It's perfectly normal for him to poop that much. That's a good thing. No worries!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)