Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Tongue tied and nipple confusion

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:04 AM
  • 16 Replies
My dd is tongue tied she's 5 weeks old and we've been struggling with breastfeeding and I've been having supply problems upon the lactation consultants advice I feed her for 15 minutes on each breast then give her a bottle then pump because she isn't getting much from my breasts we are supposed to go in the 10th for a consultation visit with an ent about getting her clipped but at this point I am very worn down and very frustrated because now when I go to feed her I can get her latched as long as my milk is coming easy but as soon as it slows she starts fussing and refusing the breast. She can get the milk easier from a bottle but I also don't get enough when I pump to supplement with breast milk. I've been pumping after most feedings but my supply hasn't increased enough for her trying to pump after every time is difficult. I'm hoping my supply will increase after we get her clipped but if she refuses to latch to my breast I don't see how that will be possible so my question is what can I do to reverse nipple confusion?
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:15 AM
Stop using bottles and supplement using alternative feeding methods like a dropper, syringe, cup, spoon, or a SNS. A SNS would give all feedings at the breast and would provide the necessary stimulation to help your supply.
Try doing massage and compressions to get the milk flowing a bit more for her.
How do you know that she's not getting much from you? Is the LC an IBCLC? Is the ENT a preferred provider who is knowledgeable about all types of tongue ties?
Eviesmom14
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:29 AM
Yes the LC is an IBCLC I don't know about the ENT. I had an appointment with the LC and she weighed her before and after the feeding and that's how she figured out how much she was getting. I was initially using a syringe at the breast but it unlatches her frequently and I was going by the advice of the LC to use a bottle. She eats about every hour during the day so syringe feeding her afterword would definitely take even more out of everything she BF for 30 minutes then eats from the bottle for 10-15 and usually wakes up while I'm trying to pump to eat more. She tends to snack from the bottle taking a little bit then sleeping for 5-10 minutes before waking and crying because she wants more.

Quoting aehanrahan: Stop using bottles and supplement using alternative feeding methods like a dropper, syringe, cup, spoon, or a SNS. A SNS would give all feedings at the breast and would provide the necessary stimulation to help your supply.
Try doing massage and compressions to get the milk flowing a bit more for her.
How do you know that she's not getting much from you? Is the LC an IBCLC? Is the ENT a preferred provider who is knowledgeable about all types of tongue ties?
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Doesnt sound like an IBCLC to me.  If she is telling you to time each breast and then give a bottle, nope. If she is basing everything off only 1 weight, feed, weight, nope.

Put baby to breast until she comes off side a on her own.  Burp and offer side B. I have nurse 2 babies that have been TT well into 9 months before getting someone to listen to me that they needed to be clipped.  Limiting like this and timing and offering bottles will quickly get you to formula feeding in no time.  If you do have to offer anything after use the dropper then or a medicine cup.  Drop the bottles like a bad habit.

Quoting Eviesmom14: Yes the LC is an IBCLC I don't know about the ENT. I had an appointment with the LC and she weighed her before and after the feeding and that's how she figured out how much she was getting. I was initially using a syringe at the breast but it unlatches her frequently and I was going by the advice of the LC to use a bottle. She eats about every hour during the day so syringe feeding her afterword would definitely take even more out of everything she BF for 30 minutes then eats from the bottle for 10-15 and usually wakes up while I'm trying to pump to eat more. She tends to snack from the bottle taking a little bit then sleeping for 5-10 minutes before waking and crying because she wants more.
Quoting aehanrahan: Stop using bottles and supplement using alternative feeding methods like a dropper, syringe, cup, spoon, or a SNS. A SNS would give all feedings at the breast and would provide the necessary stimulation to help your supply. Try doing massage and compressions to get the milk flowing a bit more for her. How do you know that she's not getting much from you? Is the LC an IBCLC? Is the ENT a preferred provider who is knowledgeable about all types of tongue ties?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:34 AM
What is her complete weight history and twenty four hour diaper count? How big are the bottles? How much do you get when you pump?
Eviesmom14
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:48 PM
In the mornings I get 3 oz and at night I get about 2 oz it throughout the day I get anywhere from 1 to 2 oz. I've been supplementing since she was born initially with a syringe then on the advice of my pediatrician I gave her bottles then the LC told me to continue that but she dropped the time down from 45mins to 30 mins so her weight and diapers were always good cause I never made her go without. She takes anywhere from 2-3 oz from bottles

Quoting MusherMaggie: What is her complete weight history and twenty four hour diaper count? How big are the bottles? How much do you get when you pump?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:55 PM
Your pump output is above average. 2-3 ounces is a full feed, so it is a bit much on top of nursing. I would definitely get an SNS and supplement a bit less if you have nursed at a feeding. What is the complete weight history?
Eviesmom14
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 10:10 AM
7lb 7oz at birth 7lb 1oz at 4 days 7lb 7oz at about a week and a half 8lb 5oz at 3 weeks 9lb 12oz as of yesterday

Quoting MusherMaggie: Your pump output is above average. 2-3 ounces is a full feed, so it is a bit much on top of nursing. I would definitely get an SNS and supplement a bit less if you have nursed at a feeding. What is the complete weight history?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Her gain is double what we would expect, though that may change as your supply regulates down the road. We look for a gain of one pound per month from lowest weight after birth; she is more than two pounds over birth weight at just five weeks. Babies are more efficient than the best of pumps. With her gaining tjis way despite her ties, you have an oversupply at this point.
Eviesmom14
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 11:55 AM
I was told she was supposed to gain an oz a day. Which so far she has been but I attribute that to the supplimenting because we went again to the LC yesterday and after a full feeding just on my breasts she said she only got 52 ml

Quoting MusherMaggie: Her gain is double what we would expect, though that may change as your supply regulates down the road. We look for a gain of one pound per month from lowest weight after birth; she is more than two pounds over birth weight at just five weeks. Babies are more efficient than the best of pumps. With her gaining tjis way despite her ties, you have an oversupply at this point.
wiersma98
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 12:03 PM

OMG -- reading your story made me relive my own, because it is practically identical!!   I, too, struggled to breastfeed my tongue-tied baby and had to deal with the double curse of poor milk production.   For a month, I fed then pumped then fed then pumped -- every TWO HOURS around the clock.   I damn neared killed myself from exhaustion.  

Then my 'lactation consultant' suggestion this new medication that would help my milk come in better.   I asked her how it would affect the baby long term, since medications can be excreted through breast milk.   Of course, she didn't know.   Ummm...excuse me??   

I switched to a bottle that day -- and never looked back.    My kid is now 15 -- still tongue-tied (can't stick her tongue out -- it's so cute when she tries!)   She is 5'7", 125 pounds, and a straight-A student.    So much for all of the lactation consultant's dire predictions!!   When my son was born 2 years after the Girl, I bottle supplemented him from day ONE.   

Don't put so much pressure on yourself.   Breast feeding is NOT that important.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)