Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Self weaning toddler

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:34 AM
  • 7 Replies
Ds will be 2 September! I can't believe we are still nursing but we are and I am very proud of us!! :) Because he is a busy body during the day he nurses less. (he's always been a huge boobie man!!!) He has always nursed 2-3 times a night. Always. WELL the past few weeks, he's nursing like a newborn! Feeling as if he is just using me as a paci and he takes a dang paci! He starts the night out in his twin bed. 3/4hrs later comes to my bed where we sleep/nurse ECT. No problem! BUT I'm getting to that point where I'm done with night nursing because it's almost constant! Anytime he moves he asks.. If I move to roll over, he asks.
I'd love to night wean. BUT I'm not feeling like being so disciplined. Lol I'm pitiful, I know!
So for now, I am just dealing! BUT my question, those that let their toddler self wean, when did night nursing slow down? I'm very aware that just because he weans at night (his choice or mine) he still may wake and that's okay, just wanting the nursing to end but like I said, just not ready to be a hardass. Lol.
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:41 AM
It went through stages. What finally happened was that they started skipping a whole day here and there, then a couple of days at a time. Growth spurts and developmental milestones continue to happen, and the comfort is not a bad thing. I'd be more concerned about weaning from the pacifier for good oral development.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:46 AM
I hit my limit with night nursing with my toddlers ar I understand 18 months. They still slept in my bed and I did nurse TO sleep but when they woke I told them milk and mommy was sleeping and offered cuddles. If they protested I rolled over. At that point they usually warmed up to cuddles. I don't think my second and fourth child would have ever given up the constant night nursing on their own. My other two did kind of slow down on all fronts. My dh was also pretty good about camping in bed alone with the toddler who knew it was pointless to cry to him for night milk. Babies slept like a dream for him.
kylersmommy
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:56 AM
I'm at that limit now! But then again I guess I am not since I'm not ready to deal with the fight I'm sure he will put up during the night! (although I may be wrong and he do just fine, who knows!) I just don't want him disturbing the whole house at those times! DD I am not totally worried about as it isn't school time and she can sleep in. It's dh and having to work the next day.
Was thinking about trying when dh has his day or days off in a row. Or the ones where he doesn't go in till later that morning. I guess I just need to get dh on board with the possible fits and tell him he'll just have to deal for a bit! Lol.
BUT I was just hoping Ds would slow on his own..

Quoting mostlymaydays: I hit my limit with night nursing with my toddlers ar I understand 18 months. They still slept in my bed and I did nurse TO sleep but when they woke I told them milk and mommy was sleeping and offered cuddles. If they protested I rolled over. At that point they usually warmed up to cuddles. I don't think my second and fourth child would have ever given up the constant night nursing on their own. My other two did kind of slow down on all fronts. My dh was also pretty good about camping in bed alone with the toddler who knew it was pointless to cry to him for night milk. Babies slept like a dream for him.
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM
We went through a phase like that. At a certain point I just started pretending I was too asleep. I'd roll over so he got my back. He fussed for a min and then would go back to sleep. I have never wanted to outright say no to nursing. He'd get insistent and I didn't want to make it a battle. But not long after he got super attatched at night he started weaning on his own.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:05 AM
My dh knew better to complain to me about a string of sleepless nights after I'd put in years of that. ;-) I had no problem giving love and affection through the night but the popping on and off all night long made me want to run away from home. Night weaning was the only thing that salvaged the breastfeeding relationship enough to go on another year.

Quoting kylersmommy: I'm at that limit now! But then again I guess I am not since I'm not ready to deal with the fight I'm sure he will put up during the night! (although I may be wrong and he do just fine, who knows!) I just don't want him disturbing the whole house at those times! DD I am not totally worried about as it isn't school time and she can sleep in. It's dh and having to work the next day.
Was thinking about trying when dh has his day or days off in a row. Or the ones where he doesn't go in till later that morning. I guess I just need to get dh on board with the possible fits and tell him he'll just have to deal for a bit! Lol.
BUT I was just hoping Ds would slow on his own..

Quoting mostlymaydays: I hit my limit with night nursing with my toddlers ar I understand 18 months. They still slept in my bed and I did nurse TO sleep but when they woke I told them milk and mommy was sleeping and offered cuddles. If they protested I rolled over. At that point they usually warmed up to cuddles. I don't think my second and fourth child would have ever given up the constant night nursing on their own. My other two did kind of slow down on all fronts. My dh was also pretty good about camping in bed alone with the toddler who knew it was pointless to cry to him for night milk. Babies slept like a dream for him.
kylersmommy
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:23 AM
That's it! I don't have a problem with a few times a day! Not at all, but it's the nights and the on and off that make nursing anytime just "ugh".. And I've loved nursing and don't want to feel that way!
Yeah I'll most certainly tell dh to just shut it! ;)

BUT since he starts in his bed then most nights comes to mine before I even hear him. Should I take him back to his bed and cuddle, ECT? Because being in my bed, I'm sure he will associate it with nursing back to sleep. And it'll be a tad less noise for dh if I am in Ds room..
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Mine stopped night nursing before he completely weaned. Just DID it one day. But don't think that meant he SLEPT all night... he didn't. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN