Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

surgery and breastfeeding

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:44 PM
  • 22 Replies
I have an 8 week old beautiful baby girl that is exclusively breastfed. I am scheduled for oral surgery to remove my wisdom teeth in 2 weeks. I cannot breast feed her for 48 hours after the surgery. Now, let me just say that if I could avoid anything having to do with dental work I would, and actually I try to as much as possible lol. This surgery is necessary and urgent. I exclusively breastfed my first daughter and was never successful with pumping which was fine because I find pumping a hassel anyway. But now it's necessary and I have no idea how many ounces I'll need for 2 days! From what I've read they say babies of that ahe drink 2-3 ozs 10-12 times a day. I can only get 1-3 ozs at a time and trying to fit 3 pumping sessions in each day. My nipples are starting to become sore. Does anyone have advice???
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
There is need to wait that long. Babies nurse after being born by c-section as soon as their mothers are awake and can hold the baby with help. No need to pump and dump, either. You'll probably only need one or two 2-3 ounce bottles. Use the slowest flow newborn nipple and have whoever feeds her hold her in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, you CAN breastfeed her the instant you are awake and safely able to handle her. No need to stop. Probably no need to pump anything in advance either.

My advice: Ignore the person who told you otherwise! They're wrong. The most dangerous thing in the dentist's office is the BILLING department. The anesthesia is far more dangerous to YOU than to baby; by the time you're awake it's GONE from your system and cannot get into the milk (the molecules don't pass into breastmilk).

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I think the problem is that such a minority of the oral surgeon's patients are breastfeeding mothers that they just don't bother to look up the research on this topic. This subject is perhaps my biggest pet peeve because I was pushed into weaning my first before I planned precisely because I was getting my wisdom teeth out. I had novacaine, nitrous oxide and vicodin. And NONE of those things required any cessation of breastfeeding at all. :-( There is a very real risk that 2 days away from the breast is enough to sink breastfeeding. Most doctors don't worry about that either because they view formula as a perfectly acceptable substitute and don't see what the fuss is about. I can not think of any anesthetic, antibiotic or pain killer they can give you that would mean you needed to pump and dump AT ALL, let alone for 2 days.
Neecy03
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:23 PM
Ok see I'm glad I put this out there! I am going to ask my pediatrician and my ob about to because more than anything I am fearful she wont want to nurse after 2 days. She is a great nurser and also comfort nurses a lot and does not use a pacifier at all so that gives me hope it wont be too much of a problem. But I am nervous it will be. And I myself don't want to go that long because I love my breastfeeding time with her. It's special.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Neecy03: Ok see I'm glad I put this out there! I am going to ask my pediatrician and my ob about to
Fair warning. THEY are likely to be as ignorant as your dentist. If you'd like, google the Infant Risk hotline. It's run by the nation's top expert on meds and mother's milk. Getting the word from him is like getting the Ten Commandments direct from the hand of Moses, you know?
because more than anything I am fearful she wont want to nurse after 2 days. She is a great nurser and also comfort nurses a lot and does not use a pacifier at all so that gives me hope it wont be too much of a problem. But I am nervous it will be. And I myself don't want to go that long because I love my breastfeeding time with her. It's special.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Dr Hale is THE authority regarding medications and breastfeeding. He writes the books the other doctors refer to. If I ever ran into a doctor ever again who was mixed up about this stuff I would ask them to call Infant Risk right then and there. I'm tired of doctors just referring to the package insert that says "if pregnant or nursing consult a doctor first" and in a panic of lawsuits they just say pump and dump or wean.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Neither your pediatrician or your OB is likely to be supportive. They get very little education in breastfeeding. Your go-to professional for breastfeeding is an IBCLC (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant); such a person has hundreds of hours in the study and practice of human lactation. Check out Kellymom.com; the author is Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC. She has an article on surgery and breastfeeding. To get the true information on medication, look up the Infant Risk Hotline.
Neecy03
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 11:37 PM
I am so glad I posted this. I have been so stressed about pumping enough to cover 48 hours of feeding plus pumping enough after surgery to keep my milk supply good for her. Then the fear of her not latching again makes me literally want to cry. You all have been so much help. Even just to know I'm not the only one who thinks the drs are very unhelpful in the breastfeeding department.
LaughterHugs
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Dr hale is the guru as others have said. also fwiw i breastfed after my colonoscopy, my laproscopy,  and other various surgeries. the only thing i could not BF after was my chemo LOL....i had to wait 2 weeks :) and if you want more research on what is safe to BF after, find the book Medications and Mothers Milk :)

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 9, 2014 at 8:45 AM
This!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Mobile Photo

Dr Hale is THE authority regarding medications and breastfeeding. He writes the books the other doctors refer to. If I ever ran into a doctor ever again who was mixed up about this stuff I would ask them to call Infant Risk right then and there. I'm tired of doctors just referring to the package insert that says "if pregnant or nursing consult a doctor first" and in a panic of lawsuits they just say pump and dump or wean.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)