Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Cracked Nipples

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:25 PM
  • 12 Replies
Yes...it has only been three weeks since birth, yes...I know that sometimes it takes time...but this isn't my first go around with BF, I just haven't dealt with nipple pain. It's completely cracked on the left side and just won't heal! Very painful and very exhausting. Anyone have any advice?
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:55 PM
His latch needs correcting. Make sure he's opening wide and not sucking his way on. "Shape" the nipple with your opposite hand so he can get more of it in hos mouth. Also, if you can, take a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with his mouth open, like when he's crying so we can check for lip and tongue ties which can affect the latch. Rub breastmilk, lanolin and/or coconut oil on your nipples to heal them.
Inana
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Any healing antibiotic cream. When he latches on, make sure you bring him up to your breast and not hunch over to bring your breast to him. Prop a pillow under him or the arm your holding him with to help with this.
Mamasita7176
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Coconut oil. Wish I knew this with DD1. Safe to nurse without washing off. 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Quoting Inana: Any healing antibiotic cream. When he latches on, make sure you bring him up to your breast and not hunch over to bring your breast to him. Prop a pillow under him or the arm your holding him with to help with this.

Antibiotic cream needs to be cleaned off before nursing.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Inana
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:35 PM
Any cream should be cleaned off before nursing, that's just a given.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting Inana: Any healing antibiotic cream. When he latches on, make sure you bring him up to your breast and not hunch over to bring your breast to him. Prop a pillow under him or the arm your holding him with to help with this.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 8, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Not all of them. Lanolin can be used without wiping. Breaastmilk is an even better cure, though. And certainly the latc h needs checking.

Quoting Inana: Any cream should be cleaned off before nursing, that's just a given.
Quoting MusherMaggie:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 9, 2014 at 8:41 AM
Pain and cracking is NOT normal and indicates an issue with the latch that needs fixing! Breastmilk and coconut oil are great for soothing and healing.
irondruidmomma
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:45 PM
Thanks ladies. I talked to a lactation consultant two weeks ago when it got bad and she said the latch was fine. It obviously isnt so I will address it with his pediatrician. I've tried lanolin with no avail and breastmilk as well. I have not tried coconut oil but am definitely going to give it a worthy shot. Thank you guys so much!
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:56 PM
Quoting irondruidmomma: Thanks ladies. I talked to a lactation consultant two weeks ago when it got bad and she said the latch was fine. It obviously isnt so I will address it with his pediatrician. I've tried lanolin with no avail and breastmilk as well. I have not tried coconut oil but am definitely going to give it a worthy shot. Thank you guys so much!

Pediatricians are some of the least knowledgeable people when it comes to breastfeeding. Your go-to professional is an IBCLC (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant). You can Google "Find an IBCLC". If you can take a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with his mouth open, like when he's crying, we can check for ties.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

irondruidmomma
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Mobile Photo

This is the best picture I can get right now. I'll try for better soon.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting irondruidmomma: Thanks ladies. I talked to a lactation consultant two weeks ago when it got bad and she said the latch was fine. It obviously isnt so I will address it with his pediatrician. I've tried lanolin with no avail and breastmilk as well. I have not tried coconut oil but am definitely going to give it a worthy shot. Thank you guys so much!

Pediatricians are some of the least knowledgeable people when it comes to breastfeeding. Your go-to professional is an IBCLC (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant). You can Google "Find an IBCLC". If you can take a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with his mouth open, like when he's crying, we can check for ties.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)