Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

6 month old with blood in his stool:-(

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 11:59 PM
  • 4 Replies
My son just turned 6 months. He is still exclusively breastfeeding. My diet hasn't changed with the exception of having vat minimally pasteurized milk the last couple days. I don't have cracked or bleeding nipples so it's not him swallowing blood either. It's bright red and he had two diapers with blood (the second had a little more then the first .) I do have another son with severe food allergies (eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, sunflower seeds.) The only other symptom of allergies he has is nasal congestion(this has been since birth.) His doctor said it could be a sign of reflux but he doesn't spit up or show signs of discomfort at all. Since his congestion isn't causing an issue with eating the doctor is going to leave it alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 9, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Reflux wouldn't suddenly cause blood where there's been none before. Any chance he's been exposed to an allergen?

Have you taken a really good look to be sure there's no anal fissure?

KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 12:11 AM
He's always with me so no.

I looked at his anus and I didn't see any signs of tears. When I wipe there isn't any blood at all and he isn't in pain when pooping or when I wipe.

Quoting gdiamante:

Reflux wouldn't suddenly cause blood where there's been none before. Any chance he's been exposed to an allergen?

Have you taken a really good look to be sure there's no anal fissure?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 9, 2014 at 12:26 AM
My one dd had some bloody diapers the doctors decided was from an intestinal polyp that burst and healed. My other dd had some bloody diapers when she was sick with some random virus. Both instances the blood was less than 2 days.

At this point I think you watch for a day or two and see. I wouldn't think it was reflux anyway as the blood still wouldn't be so bright red when it finally made it all the way down to that end.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM
I agree with Stacy. ^^^
Watch it for another day or two and investigate further if it continues.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)