Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Famous question:

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 4:33 PM
  • 12 Replies
What birth control should I use? I want a long lasting one and red the the shot, the arm implant and the iud are all okay for bf moms. (Uggg thanks for limiting my choices...not) I'm kinda afraid of all of them but the pill is how I have two kids not one so I need long term. I'm afraid the arm one will stick out (my friend who's thinner can see hers even after a year and it's a bump on her arm) and I'm afraid it will like get stuck in my arm and I'll never have kids. The iud I'm afraid of it falling out all the damn time (my friends came out every week or two) and that my DH will feel it. The shot I had a reaction to before but ob says after 2 pregnancies my body is different and might take it just fine. Help? :)
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Jul. 9, 2014 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
The atm implant can't get stuck. They cut it out, surgery if necessary. If it does stay in longer than 3 yrs, the hormones will have run out, and your pregnancy protection will cease. The iud strings can be cut to where your DH can't feel them while remaining long enough for the monthly checks. It will be more noticeable during some phases of your cycle but that's unavoidable. Your body chemistry is altered by pregnancy but if you're uncomfortable with anything pass until you are comfortable.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 9, 2014 at 5:42 PM
3 moms liked this

Natural Family Planning is another option... done properly it works as well as any of the others and lets you know when your period is coming to boot!

We used condoms here. I won't mess with other stuff and cannot be bothered to remember pills. I'm very good with things that have to be done "right now" so condoms worked (and DH didn't care).

Rhyinns.Mommy
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM
The arm was probably the lest intimidating to me cause I'm afraid of the whole iud eats through uterine line an things like that. I don't think I've heard many bad things about the arm just me bing silly and uninformed. Thank you. :)

Quoting MaryJarrett: The atm implant can't get stuck. They cut it out, surgery if necessary. If it does stay in longer than 3 yrs, the hormones will have run out, and your pregnancy protection will cease. The iud strings can be cut to where your DH can't feel them while remaining long enough for the monthly checks. It will be more noticeable during some phases of your cycle but that's unavoidable. Your body chemistry is altered by pregnancy but if you're uncomfortable with anything pass until you are comfortable.
Rhyinns.Mommy
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 7:01 PM
That's true we did that for a while but when I would have 2 periods it would mess me up. :/

Quoting gdiamante:

Natural Family Planning is another option... done properly it works as well as any of the others and lets you know when your period is coming to boot!

We used condoms here. I won't mess with other stuff and cannot be bothered to remember pills. I'm very good with things that have to be done "right now" so condoms worked (and DH didn't care).

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 9, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Check out Toni Wechsler's "Taking Charge Of Your Fertility." Best thing I've seen for charting your cycle.

Lovin_mybaby5
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Nfp
Is what we used and it worked for 4 years before we ttc for ds
Rhyinns.Mommy
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 10:04 PM
I want to rye that but like I said my double periods sometimes make it hard for me to figure but another person mentioned something to help track. I'm just afraid that something might happen somehow and I would end up prego while I'm doing an internship for cosmetology...I need 5 years lol.

Quoting Lovin_mybaby5: Nfp
Lovin_mybaby5
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Well i was planning on getting the paragaurd.... it's a non hormonal iud that lasts up to 12 years...

I couldn't get it bc of medical problems....but you should look into it

Quoting Rhyinns.Mommy: I want to rye that but like I said my double periods sometimes make it hard for me to figure but another person mentioned something to help track. I'm just afraid that something might happen somehow and I would end up prego while I'm doing an internship for cosmetology...I need 5 years lol.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jul. 9, 2014 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

NFP is more about tracking your fertility signs than using your period.  I know when I ovulate, and when I'm starting to be fertile and therefore when I should start using condoms.  

We've been using NFP for 8 years and have never gotten pregnant when we haven't wanted to. 

Rhyinns.Mommy
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 12:11 AM
Thanks. :) I'll have to do some research. :)

Quoting Lovin_mybaby5: Well i was planning on getting the paragaurd.... it's a non hormonal iud that lasts up to 12 years...

I couldn't get it bc of medical problems....but you should look into it

Quoting Rhyinns.Mommy: I want to rye that but like I said my double periods sometimes make it hard for me to figure but another person mentioned something to help track. I'm just afraid that something might happen somehow and I would end up prego while I'm doing an internship for cosmetology...I need 5 years lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)