Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Mom advise-Please no bashing!

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:25 PM
  • 9 Replies

So I recently found out I was pregnant and my milk has offically dired up. My daughter is 10 and a half months old and I enough milk stored that we should be able to last until she is 11 months old.  My peditrcian has advised switching her straight to whole milk.  I have heard with Formula you can staright mixing the formula with the whole milk to help baby adjust, does the same apply to breast milk?  Any advise on how to make an easy transition?

by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:38 PM
She should still get 24-30 oz per day of breastmilk or formula until her birthday. After her birthday, you can begin mixing formula with cow's milk or you can just give dtraight cow's milk.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:44 PM

You'd only get bashed in this group if you confessed to beating your baby or taking illicit drugs while pregnant.

Mixing breastmilk tends NOT to be a good idea because if baby doesn't like the change, then you've wasted the breastmilk. At eleven months, formula will be in order, and then switch to the cow's milk at one year.

MommyRush
by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 3:11 PM
I switched my son straight to whole milk when he was one if your ped says its ok to give it to baby now go ahead and do it. My cousin switches her son to whole milk before he was one. Probably around 10 months and he did just fine with it.
LittleRed80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:57 PM
I mixed it. I started out 3:1 breast milk and increased the cows milk from there.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Just to add, just because you arent producing due to the pregnancy, doesnt mean your baby cant comfort nurse :)
mawc1014
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM

What's so magic fron 50 weeks to 52 weeks in switching yo cows milk? I am in a similar situation except my son will be 1 on the 31st!? 

Luvmy2babies22
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 11:44 PM
I would just add that cows milk is not a substitution nutritionally for formula. If your dd isn't getting enough in solids then I would continue the formula even if she's fine doing whole milk as a beverage. If she's eating a balanced diet in solids at a year then nevermind.

We never mixed, my older 2 took to cows milk fine. She might not have any trouble with the transition. GL and congrats!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 18, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Readiness of the infant gut to handle cow's milk. Yes, even two weeks can make a difference! And if baby arrived early, adjust the age.

Quoting mawc1014:

What's so magic fron 50 weeks to 52 weeks in switching yo cows milk? I am in a similar situation except my son will be 1 on the 31st!? 

melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Bm or formula until 1yr
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN