Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Supplementing with formula

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM
  • 44 Replies

I'm a little worried about it. I have to go back to work in a couple weeks. She's only 5 weeks and has been attached at the boob for 2 weeks now! Non stop feeding... When I try and pump pretty much nothing comes out. 

Any advice on supplementing, or a brand to use? OH and how many bottles should I need for the daycare?

by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:09 PM
What times are you trying to pump and which pump are you using?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:17 PM
Since she only needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation, I would start pumping while she nurses, as often as you can. Are you also dealing with IGT or PCOS?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM
Also, .5-2 ounces from both breasts combined is normal output for a missed feeding.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:32 PM
All of that ^^^ and bottles no bigger than 3 oz. For an 8 hr day you might need three 3 oz bottles. You'll likely pump more when you're skipping those feeds instead of now trying to pump *in addition* to breastfeed. What pump are you using?
linz04060913
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Growth spurt. I wouldn't supplement at all while you're home. Can you pump and give it in a bottle?

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:02 PM
Yep!

Quoting mostlymaydays: All of that ^^^ and bottles no bigger than 3 oz. For an 8 hr day you might need three 3 oz bottles. You'll likely pump more when you're skipping those feeds instead of now trying to pump *in addition* to breastfeed. What pump are you using?
polkadots222
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I try pumping when she's eating. Which is almost allll day. Then I'm worried about if I pump nothing will be left for her. 

I'm using medela pump in style. 

Quoting shortyali: What times are you trying to pump and which pump are you using?

polkadots222
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 10:07 PM

I have no idea if I have IGT. She's gained 1lb 7oz in 5 weeks, the doctor said she looked good. 

Quoting MusherMaggie: Since she only needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation, I would start pumping while she nurses, as often as you can. Are you also dealing with IGT or PCOS?

polkadots222
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Thank you. Pump in style Medela

Quoting mostlymaydays: All of that ^^^ and bottles no bigger than 3 oz. For an 8 hr day you might need three 3 oz bottles. You'll likely pump more when you're skipping those feeds instead of now trying to pump *in addition* to breastfeed. What pump are you using?

2ndbabyBumpStar
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I used Enfamil, it worked for me best when I introduced formula as a suppliment when my supply didn't reach my son's demand. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN