Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Too much gas?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:57 AM
  • 10 Replies
How much gas should my 5 day old be having? Our first is almost 6 and as forma fed. New baby eats like a champ, But I feel like he has has a lot. He doesn't act upset, but I was wondering if it's normal in breastfed babies. He lost a lb when we left the hospital and hasn't gained it back yet. He hasn't lost any more but dr wants is to come back for a weigh in next week.
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Weight loss is expected. Baby should start gaining at a rate of at least 4oz a week.
Gas. Like farting or burping? The digestive tract hasn't had to digest anything until birth so it's all new! Extra gas can def be normal :)
lauren.m
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Congrats on new baby :)
Could be just a gassy baby or could have to do with your diet. If you eat a lot of gassy foods or a lot of dairy that could be the problem (in my experience). I've had 5 breast babies and every one of them were different even my twins.
sjenkins8208
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Farting and burping! I didn't know if maybe my let down was too fast? Or if he's just a regular gassy boy

Quoting melindabelcher: Weight loss is expected. Baby should start gaining at a rate of at least 4oz a week.
Gas. Like farting or burping? The digestive tract hasn't had to digest anything until birth so it's all new! Extra gas can def be normal :)
sjenkins8208
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Thank you. And yes it's different for every kid and I have no idea if it is my diet! I wish I could tell . I'm assuming it's not painful because he is the happiest little guy, but the not gaining weight concerns me

Quoting lauren.m: Congrats on new baby :)
Could be just a gassy baby or could have to do with your diet. If you eat a lot of gassy foods or a lot of dairy that could be the problem (in my experience). I've had 5 breast babies and every one of them were different even my twins.
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:09 PM
If your worried about a strong letdown try laying back and let baby nurse on top of you. Or side lying
See if those help :)
But him not being bothered is reassuring :)
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:10 PM
He shouldn't have gained yet :)
Most babies lose up to a week. Some as long as two weeks.

Quoting sjenkins8208: Thank you. And yes it's different for every kid and I have no idea if it is my diet! I wish I could tell . I'm assuming it's not painful because he is the happiest little guy, but the not gaining weight concerns me

sjenkins8208
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for the info! It's amazing how different the "standards" are for breastfed and formula fed newborns. I'm really enjoying breastfeeding but it's still very new.

Quoting melindabelcher: If your worried about a strong letdown try laying back and let baby nurse on top of you. Or side lying
See if those help :)
But him not being bothered is reassuring :)
lauren.m
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:18 PM
At 5 days old I wouldn't worry about weight gain yet. If gas isn't painful and he isn't fussy that's a good sign to me.

Quoting sjenkins8208: Thank you. And yes it's different for every kid and I have no idea if it is my diet! I wish I could tell . I'm assuming it's not painful because he is the happiest little guy, but the not gaining weight concerns me

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:29 PM
What everyone else said, don't be looking for gain yet. And the gas could be the baby's normal nature as his digestive system gets accustomed to finally being "turned on". More often than not beyond that, major gassiness is caused by mom having oversupply and a overzealous letdown that has baby gulping too fast to keep up. It's actually pretty unusual for baby to have gas problems from moms diet; that's old wives tale stuff. Sure it can happen, most often when baby is having a problem with the cow protein from dairy in moms diet (not to be confused at all with lactose). But think of this: for it to get in your milk it has to get in your blood, and things like broccoli and beans cause *us* gas because of the breakdown of fiber and that fiber isn't floating through your bloodstream and doesn't go into your milk. Mothers in countries with foods with the species and gassiest foods have higher breastfeeding success rates than here in the US. Many times moms think it's their diet because of the ironic timing of the food elimination with moms supply regulation (and that gulping slows down ;-). But what you're describing for a 5 day old is so perfectly normal sounding.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 18, 2014 at 1:34 PM

At five days old he should NOT be gaining but losing, so no need for concern here. Weigh him at one week, and then base all your gain on that weight.

Even with formula, loss is expected in week one, not gain.

Quoting lauren.m: Congrats on new baby :) Could be just a gassy baby or could have to do with your diet. If you eat a lot of gassy foods or a lot of dairy that could be the problem (in my experience). I've had 5 breast babies and every one of them were different even my twins.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN