Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need help! what should I do?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:09 PM
  • 11 Replies
My baby is 5 months old (yesterday) and I usually keep an eye on her weight. She has been gaining enough until recently. I hadn't weighed her in quite while so I weighed her just now. If the minimum is .5 oz per day, she is about 10 days behind! How do I get my milk up? I am wary about supplementing with formula and I don't have milk stored. I have some More Milk Plus that I can start taking I would be devestated to have to quit breastfeeding. What can I do? Please help!
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Full weight history.
The minimum is 4oz a week :) average of 1lb a month from lowest weight
momof3inapril09
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:29 PM
Lowest weight after birth was 5# 15oz. She was around an average of. 5 oz/day for a while and then she started gaining like crazy making up the difference and (if you counted from birth) she was at 1oz/ day. That wasabout 2 weeks ago. Now I weighed her today and she hasn't gained much. Can being mobile have anything to do with her weight? She scoots and rolls around. Either way, shouldn't ner nerd be goung up? When she eats she starts to wiggle and pull away. Like she wants more but it's just not there, kwim? She eats every hour or so.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Weight definitely slows down with mobility. Weight often goes on very quickly in the beginning when mom's supply is overzealous. Can you just give the monthly weights instead of the daily average? If I'm understanding your 1 ounce/day, you're talking almost 2 pounds a month?
momof3inapril09
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM
I fforgot to add that she is 10#6oz today.
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:35 PM
I need actual weight numbers
Birth weight
Lowest weight
1 mon
3mon
Current

Why are you weighing? And on what? How many diapers in 24hrs? How are her milestones and her temperment?
momof3inapril09
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:39 PM
I can't remember the exact weights, I didn't keep track that well. I know she was in the 7# range for a while, then in the 7's. The next month she was in the 7-8# range, than all of a sudden she exploded over 10#. Now she has hit a plateau.
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:40 PM
The current weight is perfect assuming a low of about 9*oz after birth.
Weight is a really poor indicator of anything.
Want to know how's your supply.......count diapers. If its going out its obv going in. Want tok know how she's doing look at her behavior and milestones. Weight is the last and worst indicator of we'll being :)
momof3inapril09
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Sorry for delays. I am on mobile while she is eating. Lowest weight was 5# 15 oz. Birth weight was 6#5oz. Approximate monthly weights are above.
momof3inapril09
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Ok. Thank you SO much for responding. Her mileatones are going well considering we have 6 other kids and she can't practice as much as the others were "allowed". Lol. I used to weigh to see gow much she was transfering and then it was every so often to check her gain. She has a wet diaper every feed. My girls do tend to be little string beans so I guess just freaking out since I have never made it this far breast feeding. I am determined to "go the distance" and just worry. Thanks again. :)
Analugojana
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:58 PM

At 5 months she is "scooting around"? She is way ahead of milestones. They are expected to sit without support around 6 months, not to scoot around!

From 5 #15 to 10 #6 hse's just a few ounces behind target but I don't know what she was weighed on (if it's not the same scale all the time, and a good one at that, then those weights are unreliable) and if the lowest weight recorded was actually the lowest.

I don't see any reason to worry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN