Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Who'da thunk a miropreemie could breastfeed? :P

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:56 PM
  • 75 Replies
19 moms liked this
Born at 24 weeks, 1 day at 1 lbs 5.9oz - He's amazing. 37 weeks 1day old today adjusted age, (13 weeks from birth)

Wyatt is 5lbs 6oz now. I pumped before we tried to nurse so he just got to suck for a few minutes while he was half asleep. It showed me that he will take the boob and that I think we'll be able to breastfeed successfully for feeds once we get there, he only sucked for 5 minutes and i've been making triple the milk since I nursed him and held him like that compared to normal - Mommy and baby hormones together do some amazing things for milk.

I got to syringe feed him his first oral feed today!! It's now official, when nurses aren't busy, they are allowed to syringe feed him instead of NG tube feeding him if they want, to get him used to swallowing. If all goes well this week, I may get to try a full feed next weekend to see how he nurses.

His lungs are doing amazing, he's down to 2.5 pressure, and hoovering between 30-35% oxygen. He's off caffeine, antibiotics, and his stomach is healed, but he's still struggling to digest his food. He pooped on me while I gave him his bath today - so pooping is a good sign his bowels are trying to do the right thing.

If all goes well with his lungs this week, he may be off all pressure by next week, and possible off all oxygen support with in 10-14 days IF he can tolerate it. He should be on just regular oxygen with no pressure by next weekend at least though as long as he continues to hold stable.

A little interesting fact, I'm one of the only mothers they've *ever* seen nurse a micro preemie baby. Not only has my dedication to pumping paid off, and he's never gotten anything but breastmilk so far (and his TPN when they've held his stomach feeds) but he's one of the only micro-preemies they've seen possibly go home nursing. The doctor said I'm teaching them a lot, since she and the nutritionalist have never seen a micro preemie breastfed before.

That was a fun conversation, I enjoyed feeling like being a stubborn, determined person worked in his (and my) favor.. pumping is one of the hardest things i've ever had to do - pumping under this kind of stress, through the loss of a baby... and being able to get to this point. Today was an absolutely amazing day.

Yes, he only got to do it for about 5 minutes, but it made all of the last 13+ weeks worth the battle to keep my milk in, to pump no matter how exhausted I was and wish I could throw in the towel some days, when I felt hopeless like he'd never "Get" here.... stubbornness has a place in this world... and if I wasn't so darned stubborn... we wouldn't have gotten to this moment today.

I'm looking forward to nursing him again, and getting him exclusively breastfeeding.

The big news is... we started talking about car seat safety and what requirements he'd need for discharge, and that even if his feeding isn't perfect, they take into account my determination and personality as part of his discharge planning for his feeds, and how obsessive I am with keeping on top of everything and being aware of his needs and trying to accommodate them. Working closely with the doctors has given them trust in me, so he may get to go home even if he's not perfect eating yet.... because they know i'll syringe feed, pump, use an SNS and work closely to find ways to get him the food he needs, and stay on top of anything. (Hey, i'm even getting ready to buy my own weight to keep track of weight gain at home on the *same* scale)

All I can do now, is pray his stomach catches up to his lungs, his lungs keep heading in the right direction and as soon as those two things line up... were pretty close to going home.

by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
You are amazing!!!!!! Way to go, both of you!!!
ceckyl
by Kyla on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Love this post!  This is all awesome news!

CamaroMama214
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Love reading the updates. He's a cutie and glad he is doing so well. That's awesome that he got to breastfeed! Keep being stubborn! lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jojie
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
What a great milestone you are reaching! I loved reading this :)
kajira
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I was kind of shocked that more mom's DONT breastfeed - but the combo of stress, inexperience, lack of education and determination, very few mom's of ANY preemies breastfeed by the time they go home, let alone a micro preemie when it's *months* until they can even TRY.

It was kind of a mental shock when they told me i'm the first mom of a micro preemie who ever breastfed that they'd seen in person.

I just looked at them like they had two heads.

Quoting CamaroMama214: Love reading the updates. He's a cutie and glad he is doing so well. That's awesome that he got to breastfeed! Keep being stubborn! lol

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this
YES! YES! YES! :-) :-) :-) :-)!
CamaroMama214
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
That is crazy!! But good job momma! You did the best thing you could for your baby and you should be very proud.

Quoting kajira:

I was kind of shocked that more mom's DONT breastfeed - but the combo of stress, inexperience, lack of education and determination, very few mom's of ANY preemies breastfeed by the time they go home, let alone a micro preemie when it's *months* until they can even TRY.

It was kind of a mental shock when they told me i'm the first mom of a micro preemie who ever breastfed that they'd seen in person.

I just looked at them like they had two heads.

Quoting CamaroMama214: Love reading the updates. He's a cutie and glad he is doing so well. That's awesome that he got to breastfeed! Keep being stubborn! lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Emma, YES YES YES!!! What a triumphant moment for you both!!!!!
CamaroMama214
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this
He looks so happy and peaceful being with his mommy and nursing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sjenkins8208
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Yay! I know you have been working very hard towards this! Congrats
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN