Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are breastfed babies supposed to....

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:26 AM
  • 5 Replies

double their birth weight by 6 months? For some reason I remember being told that, or reading that somewhere. My three oldest kids more then doubled their weight by 6 months. But my youngest didn't. But he was a lot bigger too. He was 10 lbs 2 oz and is just now at 9 month 21 lbs. My other kiddos were 7 lbs  6oz, 6 lbs 5 oz, and 7 lbs 9 oz. 

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:31 AM
They're supposed to gain an average of 1 lb per month. The double by 6 konths, triple by a year works well for 7 lbers, not so well gor 10 lbrrs. I had a 6-12 and a 10-5, trust me, they grow at about the same rate mo matter where they start out.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:51 AM
Yeah, that general recommendation is based on a 7 lb birthweight baby and nearly follows the pound per month expectation.
GodsAmiga
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:59 AM

That's the recommendation but as long as they have a consistent growth curve they should be fine. My second was 8lbs 1oz at birth and didn't reach 20 lbs until a few months after 2 years old. Lol

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:21 AM
One pound a month average from the lowest weight after birth. It's going to be more some months, less for others because breastmilk changes to meet the baby's needs.
NoraDun
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Thanks ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)