Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

introducing solids...

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:25 AM
  • 8 Replies
So my little one is about to hit that 6 month mark and me and hubs have been discussing solids.

I don't want to give her cereals cause I've read a lot about how they really have no nutritional value and babies can't digest it properly because they lack the enzyme to digest starchy foods.

Second thing is even though she is 6 months this week I don't feel we are ready for solids yet. I mean she really don't express any interest in anything but nursing and she acts perfectly satisfied with nursings. No fussiness of wanting more or anything. Would it be wrong if I waited till she seemed to want solids? I just don't see a reason in having them yet if she has no interest and is not having any signs that nursing is not filling her.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:46 AM
You can wait. My middle wasn't interested until 9 months. We just do baby led solids. Following baby's lead and offering food we are eating.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:56 AM

No need to force it if you don't think she's ready. My son is 8 months and still isn't ready. He has absolutely no interest in anything but breastmilk. Follow her lead! Six months it the minimum, not the requirement. As for giving starches; it's ok to give starches after 6 months, which is when the enzymes to digest them reach adult levels. The things you want to avoid are the iron fortified baby cereals due to the iron interfering with digestion of the iron in your breastmilk.  

Georgie2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Wait if she isn't ready. I offered earlier, and he played with them, but Little Man didn't actually start putting much into his mouth until 9 months. At nearly 10 months he's all about it now and is SUCH a good chewer... with all of two bottom teeth(-:
polkaspots
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:35 PM
You can wait. Ds is sitting up and has all of the milestones to indicate he's ready except he won't swallow anything. He's seven months old. We let him suck on things because he wants to eat. Yesterday he sucked on a frozen broccoli stalk and a plum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Analugojana
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:48 PM

As pp said, you can wait. You can sit her at the table with you and let her play with an empty plate and spoon. It's important for them to see what you are doing and participate in their own way. Maybe it will pique her interest sooner.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Nothing at all wrong with waiting. We do baby-led solids. When they want to try, and are a bare minimum of six months old, having lost the tongue thrust reflex, sitting unassisted in a high chair, and able to use pincer grasp, we give them pieces of whatever we're having. Until one year of age, always nurse first. At this point, solids don't have to be offered every meal or even every day.
SissyMacK
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Wait.  I always introduce solids when the baby starts showing interest on thier own.  That means one of mine didn't eat a thing besides breastmilk until she was 11 months old. 

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Solids before one are just for fun! My DS1 didn't start them until 7 months and DS2 will be 10 months on Monday and just started solids 5-6 weeks ago. And it is still a very miniscule amount like 5 pea-sized bites a day and even now is not an every day thing.

You are definitely right to skip cereals they are crap. And if you do start solids before one, no grains until after the first birthday.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)