Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When should/can I start pumping

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:07 PM
  • 15 Replies
When can I safely start pumping and freezing? Carson is 10 days old but a lot of times my breasts still feel very full after he eats. I was wondering how it would work to pump and freeze the excess or if it would be missing nutrients
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:32 PM
You can safely pump now, but I would suggest not doing it more than once a day or you risk causing oversupply. If you're going to start work or school you only need a day's worth of milk anyway, so just once a day is enough.
Regardless of how old baby is its not good to regularly pump more than once or twice a day unless you're missing feeding. Baby won't miss out on anything though, it will just take a few minutes longer for him to nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Analugojana
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:46 PM

You sound like you still have an oversupply. Pumping can make it worse. As, pp said, once a day, in the morning is plenty and that only if you return to work soon.

NYnewmom81214
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I pump because my daughter won't latch correctly. I would love to be able to bf her but pumping is allowing her to get the breastmilk I want.

sjenkins8208
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:38 PM
I'm not returning to work. I'm a sahm. But, for our family, we'd prefer for me to pump and bottle feed. We are hoping it will work. Dh is missing being able to feed our new son and so are our parents. I'd love to sleep in on a Sunday lol.

Quoting Analugojana:

You sound like you still have an oversupply. Pumping can make it worse. As, pp said, once a day, in the morning is plenty and that only if you return to work soon.

sjenkins8208
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:41 PM
My goal is to be able to exclusively bottle feed our son. I just thought I'd need to establish a supply before hand. But I'll breastfeed exclusively before buying formula again so I wouldn't want to mess with my supply

Quoting polkaspots: You can safely pump now, but I would suggest not doing it more than once a day or you risk causing oversupply. If you're going to start work or school you only need a day's worth of milk anyway, so just once a day is enough.
Regardless of how old baby is its not good to regularly pump more than once or twice a day unless you're missing feeding. Baby won't miss out on anything though, it will just take a few minutes longer for him to nurse.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM

To EP you'd need to pump every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night to maintain supply.  No sleeping in that way.  It would be way easier to nurse instead.

It's a huge committment to decide to exclusively pump. 

Quoting sjenkins8208: I'm not returning to work. I'm a sahm. But, for our family, we'd prefer for me to pump and bottle feed. We are hoping it will work. Dh is missing being able to feed our new son and so are our parents. I'd love to sleep in on a Sunday lol.
Quoting Analugojana:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

sjenkins8208
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM
I guess what I'm meaning is nursing and pumping? I don't mind at all to nurse, I'm actually surprised at how much more enjoyable it is than with our first son.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

To EP you'd need to pump every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night to maintain supply.  No sleeping in that way.  It would be way easier to nurse instead.It's a huge committment to decide to exclusively pump. 

Quoting sjenkins8208: I'm not returning to work. I'm a sahm. But, for our family, we'd prefer for me to pump and bottle feed. We are hoping it will work. Dh is missing being able to feed our new son and so are our parents. I'd love to sleep in on a Sunday lol.

Quoting Analugojana:

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:49 PM

In the post I didn't quote you said you wanted to exclusively bottle feed breastmilk.

Even if your husband gives a bottle you have to pump while the bottle is being given.  There are far more ways for father's to bond with their children, and grandparents then feeding them, and I wouldn't count on baby taking a bottle if you're anywhere near, because milk from a bottle is not always as satisfying as milk from Mom. :)

But, like above, it's better to wait until 4-6 weeks and only pump once a day, usually in the morning so you don't end up with oversupply. 

Quoting sjenkins8208: I guess what I'm meaning is nursing and pumping? I don't mind at all to nurse, I'm actually surprised at how much more enjoyable it is than with our first son.
Quoting JadeTigr7:

To EP you'd need to pump every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night to maintain supply.  No sleeping in that way.  It would be way easier to nurse instead.It's a huge committment to decide to exclusively pump. 

Quoting Analugojana:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

sjenkins8208
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you :)

Quoting JadeTigr7:

In the post I didn't quote you said you wanted to exclusively bottle feed breastmilk.Even if your husband gives a bottle you have to pump while the bottle is being given.  There are far more ways for father's to bond with their children, and grandparents then feeding them, and I wouldn't count on baby taking a bottle if you're anywhere near, because milk from a bottle is not always as satisfying as milk from Mom. :)But, like above, it's better to wait until 4-6 weeks and only pump once a day, usually in the morning so you don't end up with oversupply. 

Quoting sjenkins8208: I guess what I'm meaning is nursing and pumping? I don't mind at all to nurse, I'm actually surprised at how much more enjoyable it is than with our first son.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Quoting Analugojana:

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Beware: The nature of exclusive pumping is such that not only can you NOT sleep in, ever... you also can't sleep more than about 2-3 hours at a time because then you have to get up and pump again. And it never gets better... it takes more and more pumping to stay in the same place because pump output naturally declines. Takes more pumping to keep getting the same amount of milk.

It CAN be done, but it's the same amount of work as having triplets.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)