Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not fair! Update 2 at top for those interested

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM
  • 32 Replies
I have not had any pain in my breast since Thursday afternoon/evening, other than the bite. I went to urgent care today and I have a sinus infection and they put me on antibiotics.

How do you know when the clog has passed? My boob is still tender this morning, but it's not a sharp pain like yesterday. It feels more like I probably was a little overzealous with my massaging yesterday and may have bruised something. DD nursed on the right side during the night and actually ate, and while I was pumping last night I squeezed the areola and I got two spots of milk that were white and one that was pinkish. Is that bad? My fever's broken too, if that counts for anything.

ETA: I spoke too soon. My fever came back.

Original post:

Please bear with me, as this is long and may seem off topic to start with. I promise it's not, completely, and I have read the FAQs about clogged dicts, which is why I'm including the allergy story. One of the replies said something about allergies.

Last week my eyes were itchy, and I thought it was due to a sty I'd had a couple weeks prior. Then Friday I had a scratchy throat all day, and at 3am Saturday morning, I woke up and it hurt to swallow. Since then, my nose has been stuffy and my throat itchy, and I figured it was probably either allergies or due to the fact that my DF keeps our bedroom shut up at night with the A/C at 60. I had a dr appointment yesterday, for something unrelated, and the dr said that yes, it was allergies, gave me some Nasonex (that she made me use in the office so she knew I knew how to use it, but I'm not going to keep using. It didn't even occur to me at the time it could be bad to take since I'm nursing. The subject of nursing didn't come up) and told me to take Claritin. My 20 month old DD spent all day yesterday at her grandma's, and while I went there after my appointment, she only nursed three or four times yesterday, when she usually nurses at least six, I think. And I can't remember which side she nursed from more, but she usually prefers the left one. I was tired last night, but ended up having to wash the bedsheets at 10:30 after DD threw up while I was trying to put her to sleep, so I didn't get to sleep until midnight. I woke up sometime between then and 2, shivering, the kind of shivering that you do when you have a fever. I woke up this morning with a fever, and my right breast hurting on the right side, near my arm. It's not warm and I don't feel any lumps, but I can't get my DD to nurse enough to let down. She fell asleep nursing from the right one last night and then spent most of the night nursing, but I don't know if it was actually eating or just comfort nursing. She did switch back and forth between the two sides, however. She has nursed this morning, but I won't let down, and she's comfort nursing to sleep at the moment. My DF tried to clear it this morning, but I don't think he was successful. There is milk coming out when I squeeze the nipple, though.

I am sorry that this is so long and I'm sorry if it's confusing, but I'm kind of concerned about the not letting down. I put all the back story in in case it might have some bearing on the issue. I did take a Claritin last night, but I've taken them before without any issue. It's just normal Claritin, not the decongestant kind.
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Analugojana
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:35 PM

How much Claritin have you taken? This is from Lactmed:

Loratadine might have a negative effect on lactation, especially in combination with a sympathomimetic agent such as pseudoephedrine. The British Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology recommends loratadine at its lowest dose as a preferred choice if an antihistamine is required during breastfeeding.[1]

This drug can lower your supply. It might be now in combination with something else? I don't know about the Nasonex and Lactmed says it's not an issue for lactation. I don't know what a better alternative would be since I don't have allergies but maybe anotehr mom can chime in.

It might also be just the fact that you were sick. Sometimes production can dip a bit when you are sick.

How are the baby's dipes? Supply should bounce back once you feel better and most women stop feeling their letdown after a while - it might be as simple as that.

locaporbebe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:14 PM
I take Claritin everyday and have for years for me it hasn't affected my supply.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Nasonex and claritin are both fine while nursing. My guess is that not nursing often yesterday got you a bit engorged and you developed a clog. Nurse, pump, express as much as possible to get the milk moving.
IrishIz
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:43 PM

This.  Both of those meds are just fine...you missed feeds but your body don't know that so it has the milk there anyway.  Get the milk moving...warm compresses, expression, frequent nursing, pumping...

Quoting K8wizzo: Nasonex and claritin are both fine while nursing. My guess is that not nursing often yesterday got you a bit engorged and you developed a clog. Nurse, pump, express as much as possible to get the milk moving.

mnmbaby
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:06 PM
I was afraid of that. I didn't feel engorged, but that doesn't mean I wasn't. DD just woke up from her nap and nursed, and I finally let down. I'll get my pump out and see if I can respond to it.

Quoting K8wizzo: Nasonex and claritin are both fine while nursing. My guess is that not nursing often yesterday got you a bit engorged and you developed a clog. Nurse, pump, express as much as possible to get the milk moving.
mnmbaby
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:11 PM
I've only taken one in the last couple days. I took one Saturday but didn't feel it helped, so I didn't take anymore. It could be a supply issue- I was hanging laundry out in 80+ degree heat and probably didn't drink enough water yesterday. DD's diapers are fine because she drinks water, too.

Quoting Analugojana:

Loratadine might have a negative effect on lactation, especially in combination with a sympathomimetic agent such as pseudoephedrine. The British Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology recommends loratadine at its lowest dose as a preferred choice if an antihistamine is required during breastfeeding.[1]

This drug can lower your supply. It might be now in combination with something else? I don't know about the Nasonex and Lactmed says it's not an issue for lactation. I don't know what a better alternative would be since I don't have allergies but maybe anotehr mom can chime in.

It might also be just the fact that you were sick. Sometimes production can dip a bit when you are sick.

How are the baby's dipes? Supply should bounce back once you feel better and most women stop feeling their letdown after a while - it might be as simple as that.

mnmbaby
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:16 PM
...let my DF go to town, lol. He's weird. He like to drink my milk. I will use some of the methods from the FAQs and get my pump out. This just sucks. 20 and a had months with no issues except for OS and OAL at the beginning, and then I let Grandma have her for ONE day...lol.

Quoting IrishIz:

This.  Both of those meds are just fine...you missed feeds but your body don't know that so it has the milk there anyway.  Get the milk moving...warm compresses, expression, frequent nursing, pumping...

audmom1218
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Clairitin can take a few weeks to get to its effective dosage.  But again it's fine.  As long as you stay hydrated and stay away from other decongestants while on it.  

Quoting mnmbaby: I've only taken one in the last couple days. I took one Saturday but didn't feel it helped, so I didn't take anymore. It could be a supply issue- I was hanging laundry out in 80+ degree heat and probably didn't drink enough water yesterday. DD's diapers are fine because she drinks water, too.
Quoting Analugojana:

Analugojana
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:25 PM

All of the above. A bit of oatmeal, good hydration, nursing/pumping a bit more often now and not stressing over it should mend it in no time. Really, no need to stress for one bit if you are in no pain or sick anymore. Your baby is old enough to make it just fine through a dip in supply. The less you stress about it the less of a dip it will be. I don't really care if I feel a letdown or I don't - sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. The baby doesn't act any differently.

mnmbaby
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:31 PM
What's the best kind of oatmeal? The old fashioned stuff, the quick-cooking stuff, or the instant? I don't like oatmeal period, really, but I'll eat it if it helps. DD isn't ready to wean yet, I don't think. She fell asleep just comfort nursing this afternoon, which is a first. She usually eats first, but she has caught what I have, I think, so she was tired.

Quoting Analugojana:

All of the above. A bit of oatmeal, good hydration, nursing/pumping a bit more often now and not stressing over it should mend it in no time. Really, no need to stress for one bit if you are in no pain or sick anymore. Your baby is old enough to make it just fine through a dip in supply. The less you stress about it the less of a dip it will be. I don't really care if I feel a letdown or I don't - sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. The baby doesn't act any differently.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)