Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Short frequent nursings

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:04 PM
  • 13 Replies
My baby is 4 days old. The first two days he would nurse about 15-30 minutes every 2-3 hours, the last 2 days he will nurse for 5-10 minutes every 30-60 minutes. He falls asleep once he starts nursing and just about impossible to keep him going. He's good at latching and has had 5 poopy diapers and 2 pee diapers since 1 this morning. Does this all sound okay? Im new at this!
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hismommy2010
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Could be cluster feeding. Normal way of nature gettn ur supply up to meet babies needs. This will happen kinda often. Typically at growth spurts
Analugojana
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely normal. Great diaper count and that tells you the baby is doing what he's supposed to do. Congratulations!
smurfy88
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:36 PM
Thank you :)

Quoting Analugojana: Absolutely normal. Great diaper count and that tells you the baby is doing what he's supposed to do. Congratulations!
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Diaper count tells you he is getting enough.
SissyMacK
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Mine tend to cluster feed too.  It takes a lot of patients on your part, but is perfectly fine for baby.  I just accept the fact that for the first few months I will get little done besides feeding the baby. 

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:34 PM
You both are doing just dandy! His diaper count is wonderful!
smurfy88
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Thank you! Hopefully he will nurse longer again soon!

Quoting MusherMaggie: You both are doing just dandy! His diaper count is wonderful!
smurfy88
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:43 PM
It is a bit frustrating, especially at night!

Quoting SissyMacK:

Mine tend to cluster feed too.  It takes a lot of patients on your part, but is perfectly fine for baby.  I just accept the fact that for the first few months I will get little done besides feeding the baby. 

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:50 PM
Co-sleeping is the way to go at night. You can side-car the crib to your bed so he's within arm's reach for nursing, but you can slide him back when you're through. Learn to nurse side-lying. I kept a changing pad, wipes and a couple of diapers at the end of the bed to minimize disturbance.

Frequently waking at night to feed is normal. It is also a protection against SIDS. You can Google safe bed-sharing and continued co-sleeping.
smurfy88
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:55 PM
I bought one of those co sleepers that are foldable for your bed and so far it has been nice, he seems to like it!

With the crib next to the bed though would make side nursing easier!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Co-sleeping is the way to go at night. You can side-car the crib to your bed so he's within arm's reach for nursing, but you can slide him back when you're through. Learn to nurse side-lying. I kept a changing pad, wipes and a couple of diapers at the end of the bed to minimize disturbance.

Frequently waking at night to feed is normal. It is also a protection against SIDS. You can Google safe bed-sharing and continued co-sleeping.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)