Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vitamins?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM
  • 8 Replies

So my newborn had her first checkup this Monday. The doctor said he would write a prescription for vitamin D drops. When I went to pick up the vitamins, they were actually a multivitamin with iron. There was also "natural cherry flavor" and "caramel color" as ingredients listed. Does she really need to take these? I'm kinda iffy about it so any input/advice would be helpful. Thanks!

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SissyMacK
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you on the necessity of vitamins that young.  The doctor wanted my last one on vitamins from the start, but I waited until she started eating solids.  I don't think it is necessary to give even more vitamins as long as you continue to take your prenatal and folic acid (which I do). 

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this
The only thing that might be needed is Vitamin D if you don't get much sun. It only takes about 10 minutes a day on bare skin. I wouldn't supplement before six months, if at all. Carlson's and Just-D are single drop dosing with no artificial anything.

While it is true that breastmilk has lower levels of vitamins than formula, the vitamins in breastmilk are far better absorbed.
Analugojana
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Npe, not necessary, especially that kind. Your milk is complete nutrition. It's good to give vit D in the winter if you live in a cooler place. Now, in the summer, no need. 15 minutes outside supplies allthe need. Smile and ignore the doc. I hope you didn't have to pay for that crap.
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Those vitamins arent needed.  The only one I give is Vit D during the winter only.  We dont go outside enough to not to in the winter because of all the snow.  I live in NY.  During the summer we try to spend at least 20 minutes a day outside so its no needed.

ETA: Also the fake Iron in those drops will block the absorbtion of the natural Iron in your breast milk, which in the long run will cause anemia.  I personally dont see the point in giving those drops now, just to need to give more later on.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
smurfy88
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:46 PM
My pediatrician prescribed vitamins to, it has vitamin d, c, and a.
MRL84
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Thank you ladies so much for the info!!
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:57 PM
Never gave any of my kids vitamins..when they got older I have juice plus. Vitamins arent natural, can harm the virgin gut, and actually can have traces of metals. It does more harm than good imo.
b3autifulmama
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 5:05 AM

I opted to NOT give my DD these drops..they actually caused tummy issues with her...so I started taking 2 (1000mg) of a vitamin D supplement myself with my prenatals I take daily..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)