Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So confused by DD!!

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM
  • 7 Replies
Ok so my daughter is 3 months old. She is breastfeeding fine (at least I think she is). Her weight gain is great....13lbs 10oz, she eats for about 7-12 minutes each feeding (from one side only) and eats every 2-3 hours during the day with 6-7 hour stretch at night. She does spit up....a lot.....but it doesn't bother her.

The baffling thing is that aside from breastfeeding she does not suck anything! Finger, toys, pacifier, bottle, nothing! With my older two kids they would suck anything you gave them but she acts like she has no idea how. When I put a finger in her mouth she chomps it a bit, moves her tongue around and pushes it out with her tongue. She doesn't close her lips around it or anything. Same with a pacifier or bottle. Just chomps and pushes it out with her tongue. I literally can't leave her because she will only breastfeed.

She had a lip and tongue tie that was clipped but it hasn't changed anything. Is this normal?? I feel like it's not.....

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
polkaspots
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Someone else can use a cup to feed her. It's annoying, but the amount she actually needs while you're gone for a few hours is prettying minimal. The only issue is the spillage. For DH to cup feed two ounces I pumped four and hoped for the best. At seven months he takes a bottle or a cup with a straw just fine. It didn't last long that he needed to use the cup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NESmith63
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:27 PM
I'm just confused as to why it seems she cannot suck. She's not just refusing a bottle of anything.....it's everything. In my experience, babies always suck everything. So I find it weird that she won't suck anything at all.

Quoting polkaspots: Someone else can use a cup to feed her. It's annoying, but the amount she actually needs while you're gone for a few hours is prettying minimal. The only issue is the spillage. For DH to cup feed two ounces I pumped four and hoped for the best. At seven months he takes a bottle or a cup with a straw just fine. It didn't last long that he needed to use the cup.
Analugojana
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:27 PM
It is normal. My dd did not stuck on anything either. Never had a bottle. Around 4 months we started giving her mom from an open cup (you can start that from birth actually). It was a bit messy but it worked if I had to be away (rarely). By 9 months she was a pro a at drinking from an open cup and at 1 she could hold it in her own.
polkaspots
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:30 PM
It is kind of odd, but since she's nursing efficiently I don't think it's an inability. It seems like she just doesn't want to. I'm assuming you're nursing on demand, so it stands to reason she's rather just wait for you.

Quoting NESmith63: I'm just confused as to why it seems she cannot suck. She's not just refusing a bottle of anything.....it's everything. In my experience, babies always suck everything. So I find it weird that she won't suck anything at all.

Quoting polkaspots: Someone else can use a cup to feed her. It's annoying, but the amount she actually needs while you're gone for a few hours is prettying minimal. The only issue is the spillage. For DH to cup feed two ounces I pumped four and hoped for the best. At seven months he takes a bottle or a cup with a straw just fine. It didn't last long that he needed to use the cup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmelly2009
by Melissa on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:59 PM
To answer your question.. I would say she will get there soon, maybe at 4 months at 3 months my dd was just learning to grasp objects, I wouldn't worry it will happen soon

Quoting NESmith63: I'm just confused as to why it seems she cannot suck. She's not just refusing a bottle of anything.....it's everything. In my experience, babies always suck everything. So I find it weird that she won't suck anything at all.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:11 AM
Normal! My first never sucked on anything or put a thing in his mouth as an infant. He did take bottles at daycare, but he would not use a teether, suck on his thumb, take a paci, or chew on anything. I was never concerned about it, all babies are different.

My DS2 loves to put everything in his mouth that shouldn't go in: paper, plastic, cardboard, hair, fuzzies, etc. However he will not take a sippy, bottle, open-top cup for the sitter or my DH (the only 2 people who have watched him) he will just wait until I get home to nurse ( I have only been away for up to 6 hours, he is almost 10 months) but the funny thing is, he will take a cup and sip on some water when I am home, lol.
gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:14 AM

QUITE normakl. Use a cup that must be tipped. No sicking required. This young, spill proof valves must be removed. Let gravity deliver the milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)