• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cold meds and nursing 3 week old

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:18 PM
  • 6 Replies
Can I use a nasal decongestant spray without effecting supply?
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:24 PM
I would try something like NasaCort. The other might cause a temporary drop in supply. Breastmilk also will clear stuffy noses of all ages!
Analugojana
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:43 PM
I would not. Not just because breastfeeding but my sister was seriously dependent on one from using for about 3 weeks. Her cold was long gone and her nose was still stuffy without that stuff,. Try saline sprays and breast milk before anything else.
MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:52 AM
The Neti pot works for me.
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:41 AM
Ya! It always scares me a bit but that's why I try to use it at night only, and the bottle says no more than 3 days. I can deal with stuffiness, but at night I become a baby.

Quoting Analugojana: I would not. Not just because breastfeeding but my sister was seriously dependent on one from using for about 3 weeks. Her cold was long gone and her nose was still stuffy without that stuff,. Try saline sprays and breast milk before anything else.
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:43 AM
I ended up using a sinus rinse. I had it, but apparently dumped my decongestant spray. It was awesome! Never used it before.

Quoting MamaToCollin: The Neti pot works for me.
Analugojana
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:30 AM
Yep, that's my go to when I have a cold. Breast milk also works temporally and is very comfortable as opposed to other treatments.

Quoting BabyPink07: I ended up using a sinus rinse. I had it, but apparently dumped my decongestant spray. It was awesome! Never used it before.

Quoting MamaToCollin: The Neti pot works for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)