Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WIC

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:25 PM
  • 22 Replies
2 moms liked this
We all love to hate WIC, but not without good reason. They (in many of our experiences) tend to give some of the worst breastfeeding and dietary advice.

Well imagine my surprise to find this flier in the mail. My local WIC office is hosting an event to honor and reward breastfeeding moms and families with free ice cream and fun activities at the park!

Now this certainly doesn't make up for the misinformation that has been spread through WIC in the past, but definitely an encouraging step in the right direction! :-)
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this
My WIC actually does a great job encouraging breastfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Coen tried to eat the flier, so it's a bit crumpled.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM
It all depends on how accurate the information is they are distributing.
Bookoholic
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM
In order to get two months worth of checks you have to go to a breastfeeding class at my wic office.
cfcf
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:31 PM
When I needed WIC a few years ago they did everything they could to encourage me to continue breastfeeding. My dislike for WIC comes from them constantly dumbing things down like I was a teen mom. Thankfully my financial woes were very short lived and I only had to embarrass myself with those damn vouchers for a few months.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

At least they're trying.  I have no idea what my wic office has to say because we have never received wic or any other pa. But our local breastfeeding group is hosting a cook out to celebrate breastfeeding week.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:33 PM
That's great! It is certainly not true that all WIC offices distribute false info or discourage BFing, but many do. I do feel like they are getting better and better everywhere but a lot of WIC offices have given poor advice to moms while "encouraging" BFing. My sisters WIC office actually told her that since she was unable to BF her first (he was tongue-tied) that she would not be able to feed the second. :-/

Quoting lillybug222: My WIC actually does a great job encouraging breastfeeding.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:37 PM
True! I'm more excited that they are rewarding BFing moms with a fun day at the park than distributing information. I do feel that if they are distributing info though, that is an effort to encourage BFing. Hopefully they will be giving sound advice!

Quoting MusherMaggie: It all depends on how accurate the information is they are distributing.
amberNewman0213
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:39 PM
I received WIC when I was a teenager with my daughter and up till she was about a year old. Very rude to me every time. I get they have to deal with people having 5 kids they can't afford and such. But I was a high school student I didn't have much choice. Fortunately I don't ever have to worry about it again, but they really were useless at everything except making me feel like a horriable mom for needing help at that time.
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Yikes! I didn't really receive any advice. Probably because I've only used WIC with #3 & by then I was a pro!

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy: That's great! It is certainly not true that all WIC offices distribute false info or discourage BFing, but many do. I do feel like they are getting better and better everywhere but a lot of WIC offices have given poor advice to moms while "encouraging" BFing. My sisters WIC office actually told her that since she was unable to BF her first (he was tongue-tied) that she would not be able to feed the second. :-/

Quoting lillybug222: My WIC actually does a great job encouraging breastfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)