• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding a NICU baby

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:52 PM
  • 5 Replies
Ds was 8 weeks early, we are counting on the same thing with this baby. I wasn't able to breastfeed with Ds and I really really wanted to, the nurses gave Ds a bottle before I even knew about it. I did pump so Ds got 6 weeks of breast milk, but this time I want to exclusively breastfeed. I am only 14 weeks pregnant but I'm trying to prepare myself before the last minute.
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:33 PM
4 moms liked this
Your best bet? Put "kajira" in the search box at the top of the page. She is an amazing mom who is working on being able to nurse her micropreemie (and has done so once already). You will have to arm yourself with education and attitude. If his breathing and vitals are good, demand that you be allowed to nurse. If he can drink from a bottle, you should be allowed to try nursing. If he cannot nurse, he should be tube fed or finger fed.
Analugojana
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:38 PM
There's a mom here who's breastfeeding (pumping and exclusively feeding her milk for now) a micropreemie. It is totally possible but you need to be very pushy and clear about your wishes. Contact kajira in this group and she may be able to give you more info. Here's a link to her blog
http://abbiegaile.blogspot.ca/
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:44 PM
Well that was unanimous. I immediately thought of Emma (kajira), too. Very inspiring story of 24 week micropreemie twins.
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM
I was thinking the same :)

Education and stubborness is key. Support is also so important, here and hopefully from well educated IBCLCs :)
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:00 AM
I agree with everyone above!

You can do this mama! Be adamant with hospital staff about how your baby is to be fed, you are the mother and this is your decision not theirs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)