Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping Crisis!!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:35 AM
  • 10 Replies
I'm oblivious, my LLC didn't really help me much oddly and I have to go back to work (12hr shifts) in 5 weeks and need to start pumping and am at a loss. I feed her on demand all day which is honestly about every 1.5-2hrs...I have a double electric medella pump LLC said to get but I'm at a loss of when to pump and when to pump so I can still feed her sufficiently when she wakes up. I tried the other day and I pumped and went to feed her when she was hungry and all she did was scream at my breasts and "claw" at them...I don't know if I should be pumping all day long or in certain increments and if I should pump the one she doesn't nurse on and vice versa and if I should after every feeding pump...(she will only nurse right now one breast per feeding). Sorry if this is confusing but I'm in a panic bc I want to have enough breast milk built up till I start pumping both breasts all day at work...
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hismommy2010
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:27 AM
Start pumping after you feed her. So she gets fed first. This will also help increase your supply.
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 24, 2014 at 5:47 AM
Pump one side while she nurses the other side in the morning. He clawing and screaming at breast is just because she had to work for the milk instead of a let down right away.
b3autifulmama
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 5:50 AM
Oh, because the let down is slower after you've pumped?
Bc I figured I can't be "empty"

Quoting shortyali: Pump one side while she nurses the other side in the morning. He clawing and screaming at breast is just because she had to work for the milk instead of a let down right away.
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes.  The pumps are not as effecient as a baby so they have no problem helping you empty out the easy milk at the begining.  The hind milk tends to be harder to get out and babies have to work to get it.  So shes just getting frustrated that it isnt the normal latch on and a few sucks getting a ton of milk, shes having to work for it to draw out the milk that was a little higher up.

Quoting b3autifulmama: Oh, because the let down is slower after you've pumped? Bc I figured I can't be "empty"
Quoting shortyali: Pump one side while she nurses the other side in the morning. He clawing and screaming at breast is just because she had to work for the milk instead of a let down right away.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
b3autifulmama
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:29 AM
You think once a day or twice
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Pump first thing every morning before, during or after the first feeding. She will need 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation fed in 2-3 ounce portions every 2-3 hours. Use the slowest flow newborn nipple always. Baby is held sitting, bottle parallel to the floor, baby burped after every ounce. Look on Kellymom.com at "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" and information on working and breastfeeding. You don't have to have a huge stash built up. As you get closer to going back to work, add more pumping sessions. You will want to pump for 15 minutes every three hours while working.
Analugojana
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:36 AM
1 mom liked this
In the morning you have the highest output so pumping once in the morning is your best bet. If she accepts the pump while she nurses on the other side that's great. If not, try after she finishes. You only need a day's worth of milk, for the first day back to work. She will need 1-1.25 ounces for every hour of separation. No need for a big stash. 5 weeks away is plenty of time to build that.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I pumped first thing in the mornng between feeds from very early on.  Just the once a day as noot to stresss myself out and morning is highest supply/output.  Between feeds gets more for ME though you can do the opposite breast.  You dont need a huge amount stored.  Just enough for the 12 hour day which is 12-15 oz total.

If you do this every morning baby will get used to it and wnt even fuss anymore at the breast, it'll be expected

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:47 AM

is you pump once a day for the next 5 weeks..thats 35 days and got 1/2 oz a day you would have more than enough!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM
What everyone else said!^^^
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN