Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

when to start pumping

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:13 PM
  • 8 Replies
Soo my little one is one month I was told to wait a month before pumping to avoid nipple confusion but I want to know when should I start pumping and how to avoid nipple confusion I'm going back to work soon and I I want to be able too still breastfeed without a problem. I've had nipple confusion in the past for a pacifierand want to avoid this problem from happing again also is ittrue pumping can lower your milk supply
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
No, pumping is actually extra demand which may help increase your supply. Your breasts are faucets rather than storage units. When they are stimulated by pumping or baby nursing, milk is being made at the same time. Pumping first thing in the morning yields the best results. Do this every day, working or not. When you are away from your baby, pump every three hours. Baby will need 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation fed in 2-3 ounce portions every 2-3 hours. Always use the slowest flow newborn nipple. Baby is held sitting, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. Bottles are never given by mom, only when mom is out of the house. Start pumping 2-4 weeks before returning to work, once in the morning. Kellymom.com has wonderful information on pumping, working and nursing. See "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on Kellymom.com and print off a copy for your caregiver.
mamabens
by Miranda on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Quoting MusherMaggie: No, pumping is actually extra demand which may help increase your supply. Your breasts are faucets rather than storage units. When they are stimulated by pumping or baby nursing, milk is being made at the same time. Pumping first thing in the morning yields the best results. Do this every day, working or not. When you are away from your baby, pump every three hours. Baby will need 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation fed in 2-3 ounce portions every 2-3 hours. Always use the slowest flow newborn nipple. Baby is held sitting, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. Bottles are never given by mom, only when mom is out of the house. Start pumping 2-4 weeks before returning to work, once in the morning. Kellymom.com has wonderful information on pumping, working and nursing. See "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on Kellymom.com and print off a copy for your caregiver.

This

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Exclusive pumping is hard on your supply. You can't cause nipple confusion by pumping, it's only by giving the pumped milk in a bottle when you don't have to. I'd pump once a day and not give any bottles until you're working.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Quoting jackiedimartino: Soo my little one is one month I was told to wait a month before pumping to avoid nipple confusionpumping has NOTHING to do with nipple confusion..bottles do.  You can pumpa nd store and not give the bottle.  Pumping from the day milk comes in is fine for a mom going back to work! I HATE that people tell moms who work not to pump
but I want to know when should I start pumping and how to avoid nipple confusionNOW just no bottles
I'm going back to work soon and I I want to be able too still breastfeed without a problem.thats fine pump when away give baby 2-3 oz bottles every 2-3 hours with a slow flow nipple, refuse bottles when home only offer the breast
I've had nipple confusion in the past for a pacifierand want to avoid this problem from happing again also is ittrue pumping can lower your milk supplyno pumping raises supply if its done as an extra, do nt replace nursings when together with pumping and a bottle and you willbe fine

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:41 PM
I agree with everything said above!^^^
KREX0914
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM

WIC told me to wait 9 days before returning to work to start pumping ,,, But they couldn't give me a solid reason for that specific number so I rented my own pump and went at it from one month on. I used Medela nipples and she takes them alright.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Setting you up to fail so they need to give your formula!

Quoting KREX0914:

WIC told me to wait 9 days before returning to work to start pumping ,,, But they couldn't give me a solid reason for that specific number so I rented my own pump and went at it from one month on. I used Medela nipples and she takes them alright.

KREX0914
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Most likely. I had to stay by her NICU bed 24/7 for 2 weeks because even they kept trying to give her formula, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Setting you up to fail so they need to give your formula!

Quoting KREX0914:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)