Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you seen the "do I make enough milk?" test?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:31 PM
  • 17 Replies

Mobile Photo

I saw this at Target for like $22. I didn't have time to read the back so I don't know the concept. All I know is someone is making a killing off of breastfeeding insecurities. I wish I could stand there and ask "does your baby pee? Ok you make enough milk. No no, my advice is free"

Anyone want to research this for me and tell me how it "works"
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissSarah04
by Sarah on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:44 PM
I remember a discussion about this some months back and the general consensus was that it was more harmful than good =/
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I think that is made/marketed by the same people that make the useless alcohol in breastmilk strips. From what I recall this test is more about pumping than milk production and we all know what a trainwreck that can be. If I'd tried to pump for this test when any of my babies were 3 or 4 months old, I'd already look bone dry, even though my chubby babies weren't getting a single bottle. 

Analugojana
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Yes, we have. We wrote to the company, gave it bad reviews on Facebook, Amazon, etc. It makes you pump, put the milk in there and then it tells you if you have enough. Horrible idea but it seems they don't care enough about all the bad press we made and they continue to market it.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Come to think of it I thought Target was pulling these from their shelves. If you go to the company website they don't have this product on there anymore. They still sell the alsohol test strips.

Allisonc7910
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Ok kind of pointless. Couldn't you just pump and measure yourself.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:13 AM
Eh, that wouldn't tell you anything either. Some moms have crappy pumps. Some moms have crappy pump response even with the better pumps. After I get past the initial oversupply I could never randomly pick up a pump and get more than a few drips but I've nursed without suppliments past 2 and 3 years. Pumps can trick you into thinking you're going dry when you're really just experiencing common decrease in pump response.

Quoting Allisonc7910: Ok kind of pointless. Couldn't you just pump and measure yourself.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:16 AM
That's on a shelf somewhere? We got target to pull them and the company to stop making them with a coordinated social media campaign. If you search group posts you should be able to find the info.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I thought they pulled this product after public outrage!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Pumping shows you what you can pump NOt what you produce

Quoting Allisonc7910: Ok kind of pointless. Couldn't you just pump and measure yourself.

mamabens
by Miranda on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Wow! I thought they took this off the shelves. Way to sneak it back on hoping no one would notice

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)