Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When nursing manners aren't working

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:52 AM
  • 9 Replies
My daughter is 9.5 months old. Recently she started really biting, I mean to the point I scream and I'm afraid. I never thought I would be that mom, but it has me in full out tears and in pain. She is teething, we are treating it, and the biting is only when I'm nursing her to sleep at bedtime. Tylenol/ibuprofen is our last resort. She also has frozen teethers and frozen fruit in a mesh feeder.

Even when I yell and yelp, i have to forciblybreak the latch while in serious pain. She won't let go.

I set her down and say sternly no bite. She knows the tone of voice, but she doesn't react until i set her down and then she wails like she is seriously hurt and even dad can't comfort her (SAHD).

Is there anything else I can do? I already pump 4x a day for her to eat while I'm at work, I don't want to EP, I am adamant about self weaning and I don't want to stop nursing at all. What else can I do? We are 1.5 hours now past her bedtime and I am at a loss. She nurses to sleep every night and we bed share.
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Iluvharpie13
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow, yeah my 8 mo old little girl and I are going through the same situation. 4 on top 2 on bottom. And OW! OMG! She also nurses to sleep and is going through a renewed hatred of sleeping in her own crib. So we all sleep together. And she also believes mom is the all night buffet. No so great. So I feel your pain, literally, but like you I'm trying the same disapline advice.. Nothing has worked yet. My daughter is MEAN to me, everyone laughs but it's only me she hits or bites. Idk what I'm doing wrong..
natlogancas
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:34 AM
1 mom liked this
When my daughter bit me while nursing, I would say "ouch" no biting it hurts mommy. Then but my shirt up and let he know that when she bites she doesn't get to eat. Kinda like a break to let it sink in that biting is bad.

My daughter bit for maybe a few days and then stopped. She will still clamp down when she's super tired on accident, but not like she was doing.

So I suggest when she bites you take her off, say "ouch" in a sad voice, not upset one, and tell her that hurt no biting" then make a point to take your boobs away for a few minutes (like 2 or so) then let her calm down and then restart over.

This worked very well for me. Point is baby will understand that they don't get feed when they bite mom
natlogancas
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:37 AM
Also try giving her teething tablets (2) right before you nurse, if might help to relieve some discomfort.

Don't do baby oragel (it toughens gums and makes it harder for the teeth to come in) making it more painful
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Quick question about those bottles...how big are they, what flow bottle and is baby upright when fed them?

I have found that bottlefed babies tend to bite when nursing because they are used to the flow being too fast when they get the bottle so they expect it to the breast too

Merrick17
by Corrine on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Dr brown bottles. Newborn nipples, 3oz tops each one. She takes 9-12 oz when I'm gone, 10 hours each weekday. She's a grazer, and takes 1-2 oz at a time unless she's had a longer than usual nap (1.5-2 hrs).

She used to chew on bottle nipples, but doesn't anymore. She doesn't take a paci, but has a bunch she just chews on. She has been chewing on anything and everything. She's on teeth 5&6, both next to the front teeth. I'm just hoping it will pass and I'll just keep reinforcing the manners.

I have her some Tylenol last night and she finally nursed to sleep without biting around 10 pm. Typically she's ready for bed between 8-930. She was overtired as well at that point.

Could I have oal/os at this point? She nurses as normal, although her solids intake has recently went up. Dh thinks she may be equating my boobs with food/chewing, but I don't buy that. He just doesn't want me to be in pain. I only get about 2-3 hours with her a night.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quick question about those bottles...how big are they, what flow bottle and is baby upright when fed them?

I have found that bottlefed babies tend to bite when nursing because they are used to the flow being too fast when they get the bottle so they expect it to the breast too

Exsxfxy
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I had this exact problem, around the same age with my now twelve month old. He bit twice and broke the skin badly. I ended up pumping on that breast til I healed. And like you it was while nursing to sleep, but most often on his least favorite breast. To preserve our nursing relationship I decided to no longer nurse to sleep. In fact after he was really tired and I knew he was no longer hungry I would get a cup of a little bm and let him sip that, just so that I knew it wasn't hunger cries for sure, but didn't have to risk more injury. I held him while he cried to sleep a few nights. And I would have continued to do so if it wasn't mainly on one breast that he was biting. Eventually I stopped using that breast to nurse to sleep and it has helped. Although he still bites, just without breaking the skin. Hope ypu find something that works for you.

Exsxfxy
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I do think it will pass, maybe try and limit the non nutritive sucking at night for a few days. 

Georgie2
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:00 PM
My LO was doing the same, except that it didn't upset him when I put him down. He would laugh and crawl off to play. I started giving him a cold damp cloth to chew on and teething tablets right before his evening feed. It helped, but didn't stop it completely. Now that his bottom two teeth are fully in, he's stopped. His upper gum is swelling though, so I'm not going to lie- I'm scared it will start up again!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Sounds like it is indeed teething pain, so be ready to continue those teething remedies before trying to nurse. You might try administering teething tablets a bit before bedtime to give them time to kick in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)