Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Premarin

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:21 AM
  • 7 Replies
Can u take Premarin while breastfeeding?
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM
I can't find it on Kellymom.com or LactMed (you've probably already tried, too). What is it and what is it for?
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM
It's a vaginal cream for women in menopause. My dr prescribed it since I have a very very hard time with sex, never being turned on and achieving. I have clitorial phimosis and it's ruining my life :-(

On box it says conjugated estrogens

Quoting MusherMaggie: I can't find it on Kellymom.com or LactMed (you've probably already tried, too). What is it and what is it for?
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:13 AM
My previous family dr prescribed it for me after my first baby, when I was having some problems with vaginal dryness and tissue elasticity (lack thereof). I didn't use it and was told by someone else later that estrogen creams aren't compatible with breastfeeding either.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:17 AM
I would think if it's enough estrogen to potentially increase sex drive then it's potentially enough to lower milk supply. My dr never said anything about sex drive; we were just looking to counteract the mess caused by an OB who did some unkind over-stitching after an unwelcome episiotomy. Closer to 15 months the problem got better on its own.

Quoting mama-smurf: It's a vaginal cream for women in menopause. My dr prescribed it since I have a very very hard time with sex, never being turned on and achieving. I have clitorial phimosis and it's ruining my life :-(

Quoting MusherMaggie: I can't find it on Kellymom.com or LactMed (you've probably already tried, too). What is it and what is it for?
Analugojana
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:19 AM

AS far as I know estrogen in any form is absorbed in the bloodstream and will reduce your supply. I'm not sure if it an issue for the baby to drink that milk but pretty sure she won't have much to drink. Being a cream it might be a smaller amount but I would still not touch it if I wanted to continue bf. 

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:25 PM
I'm just gonna toss it. She barely nurses nowadays so I want to keep what I have:-/

Quoting mostlymaydays: I would think if it's enough estrogen to potentially increase sex drive then it's potentially enough to lower milk supply. My dr never said anything about sex drive; we were just looking to counteract the mess caused by an OB who did some unkind over-stitching after an unwelcome episiotomy. Closer to 15 months the problem got better on its own.

Quoting mama-smurf: It's a vaginal cream for women in menopause. My dr prescribed it since I have a very very hard time with sex, never being turned on and achieving. I have clitorial phimosis and it's ruining my life :-(

IrishIz
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:34 PM

It isn't likely to have a significant impact.  If you don't have issues with supply try a little and see how it goes.  As a cream....you can control how much you use and just half a dose initially if you are concerned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)