Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bottles? 26 weeks pregnant

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:58 AM
  • 8 Replies
So I'm planning on Breastfeeding just like I did with my first. I'm at SAHM so she will mostly be getting the breast. But I will also be pumping so that Hubbs and DD can help feed baby. My questions are:

1. What bottles do you all recommend? I don't want her to get confused.
2. How soon do I pump?
3. How soon does the bottle get introduced?
4. Do you think I'll need to be out of the house so she takes a bottle? With my first she only took a bottle when I was at school or work. Not when I was home.

Thanks ladies. Any advice would be great.
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Generally speaking we like to suggest that you don't pump the first six weeks as you're still in that delicate dance of supply and demand. There is no "one bottle" that's particularly recommended as babies like what they like, and it's usually not the one you stocked up on. Any bottle on the market has the potential to cause nipple confusion and/or more commonly, bottle preference. Make sure caregiver follows rules for "bottle feeding breastfed baby". (We'll post link). No bottles while you're there to provide the real thing, and pump when bottles are given to protect your supply, even if dad is "helping" so you could get more sleep (not).
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I forgot to add that I am also a SAHM of 4 babies that were breastfed and not one of them took a bottle ever. You don't NEED to pump and you don't NEED to ever give bottles. Believe me, my kids are plenty bonded to dad. My dh has been out of town all week and they are so sick of maintenance-mom and are desperate for fun-dad to come home.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby (includes pdf to print for caregivers):

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/
mamabens
by Miranda on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

EverytHing Stacy said

JennyM87
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Thank you so much. ❤️

Quoting mostlymaydays: Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby (includes pdf to print for caregivers):

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/
MammaKoi
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

these are the first year breastfeeding bottles and they worked wonderful for my son who was breastfeed. Its up to you for all the other questions. 

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep, what Stacy said!

Quoting mamabens:

EverytHing Stacy said

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Quoting JennyM87: So I'm planning on Breastfeeding just like I did with my first. I'm at SAHM so she will mostly be getting the breast. But I will also be pumping so that Hubbs and DD can help feed baby. no one should feed baby when you can...period, plain and simple

My questions are:
1. What bottles do you all recommend? we like tommee tippeeI don't want her to get confused. any bottles given when mom is around nd can nurse can cause confusion
2. How soon do I pump? only pump for a small amount of back up or for when you have to leave baby
3. How soon does the bottle get introduced? not before 6 weeks if you can help it
4. Do you think I'll need to be out of the house so she takes a bottle?YES DO NOT give a bottle when you are home and cn nurseWith my first she only took a bottle when I was at school or work. Not when I was home.

Thanks ladies. Any advice would be great.

Daddy and big sis need to find other ways to bond...big sis can be in charge of singing to baby when you change them, daddy can do baths, or bed time routine.  My hubby takes my guy after I nurse in the evenings for bedtime snuggles while i get the older kids ready for bed.  WOrks out well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)