Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cracked sore nipples

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:48 PM
  • 11 Replies
What can I do about them? Aside from figure out how to fix her latch. It's painful on both sides to nurse, one side is worse then the other and I noticed last night I have a couple cracked spots on that side.

Aside from that, my baby girl was born on 7/14/14, 9.6lbs, 21 3/4 inches, at 9:48 pm! She beat both her big brothers in height and in weight.

Thank you for the advice in advance on this post and all the advice I've gotten in the past! While still in the hospital I kept remembering how much help you ladies were 2 years ago with my youngest son and never gave up wanting to nurse my dd. I pumped every 2 hours while she was in nicu, sent every little thing I pumped to her, and immediately had her at the breast every time I went to see her. After 2 days of being home she was off formula and bottles! At 11 days old we have a stock pile of pumped milk of 24oz already.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Analugojana
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

You need first off to fix the latch. The nipples will not heal if the latch is not good. I'll come back with some links for a good latch. Has the baby been checked for ties? If you are not sure post a picture of the baby's mouth with the upper lip rolled up and another one with him crying.

To heal the damaged nipples you can use lanolin or a nipple butter or even easier, express a few drops of milk on them and then let them air dry.

Analugojana
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Here:

http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/bf-basics/latch-resources/

shaye
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM
Use your breast milk. After each feeding put a few drops on each nipple, let dry amd you can try using lanolin as well. I love the stuff. My first I had such badly cracked nipples my daughter threw up a ton of blood one night rushed her to er and they said it was my blood!!!! Horrible horrible. But the lanolin saved us big time. Good luck and hope it all gets better soon!
irondruidmomma
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:06 PM
I just went through this. Coconut oil was the only that healed them. Baby's latch still is bad because he has PRS...but at least I can feed him.
Kitsun
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM
I've been doing breast milk since I noticed last night when I noticed. I can try and get a pic with her lip up, but doubt I can do one crying .. she very rarely cries

Quoting Analugojana:

You need first off to fix the latch. The nipples will not heal if the latch is not good. I'll come back with some links for a good latch. Has the baby been checked for ties? If you are not sure post a picture of the baby's mouth with the upper lip rolled up and another one with him crying.

To heal the damaged nipples you can use lanolin or a nipple butter or even easier, express a few drops of milk on them and then let them air dry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitsun
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:55 PM
I've been doing breast milk since I noticed last night, I think the lanolin is what I used with ds2 and it didn't help at all

Quoting shaye: Use your breast milk. After each feeding put a few drops on each nipple, let dry amd you can try using lanolin as well. I love the stuff. My first I had such badly cracked nipples my daughter threw up a ton of blood one night rushed her to er and they said it was my blood!!!! Horrible horrible. But the lanolin saved us big time. Good luck and hope it all gets better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitsun
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:56 PM
I may have to try that, thank you. I'd rather use something more natural like this. I just found out olive oil works wonders on diaper rash.

Quoting irondruidmomma: I just went through this. Coconut oil was the only that healed them. Baby's latch still is bad because he has PRS...but at least I can feed him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Analugojana
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Coconut oil works even better on diaper rash for us.

Quoting Kitsun: I may have to try that, thank you. I'd rather use something more natural like this. I just found out olive oil works wonders on diaper rash.
Quoting irondruidmomma: I just went through this. Coconut oil was the only that healed them. Baby's latch still is bad because he has PRS...but at least I can feed him.

irondruidmomma
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:22 PM
I hadn't thought of that! I'm going to use that!

Quoting Analugojana:

Coconut oil works even better on diaper rash for us.

Quoting Kitsun: I may have to try that, thank you. I'd rather use something more natural like this. I just found out olive oil works wonders on diaper rash.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:31 PM
You may have to hold her tongue up a bit to get that picture. If someone can help, even better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)