• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weird let down pain at 10 months

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:48 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son is almost 10 months old and has been breastfed the whole time. The first few months let down hurt like a mofo but then it completely stopped. I had oversupply for a while which finally calmed down around 8 months and I now produce just enough for him. Well, I was just nursing him and it was hurting like let down used to hurt! Like a weird throbbing pain in the middle of my boob. It's only happened this one time, but anyone have any idea why it would be happening again suddenly?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Analugojana
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Was the baby nursing a bit less? Are your breasts fuller/engorged? There might be a clog forming. Nurse from that breast, dangle nurse if you can (baby on his back and you nurse  on all four with baby underneath - I know, lovely) . A warm shower and massage during the shower. These are preventive measures and treatment of a clog.

alkakfnxcpoem
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:07 PM

He's been slowly decreasing his feeds, nothing crazy. He did go a few hours without over night, but then he flattened both sides this morning. I was feeling kind of full, but definitely not engorged. It didn't seem abnormal at all until the pain happened. But I'll take measures against a clog just in case. Thanks!

Quoting Analugojana:

Was the baby nursing a bit less? Are your breasts fuller/engorged? There might be a clog forming. Nurse from that breast, dangle nurse if you can (baby on his back and you nurse  on all four with baby underneath - I know, lovely) . A warm shower and massage during the shower. These are preventive measures and treatment of a clog.

Analugojana
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Yeah, clogs are evil and the can happen quite fast. I've always had an oversupply (it calmed down now) and I had quite a few of them. Lecithin helps to emulsify the milk a bit and prevent the clogs. Unfortunately I remember to take it only when the clog happens :( If you develop fever you'll need to see a doctor for mastitis. Hopefully that's not going to be the case. I only had one bout of mastitis with all the clogs.

Quoting alkakfnxcpoem:

He's been slowly decreasing his feeds, nothing crazy. He did go a few hours without over night, but then he flattened both sides this morning. I was feeling kind of full, but definitely not engorged. It didn't seem abnormal at all until the pain happened. But I'll take measures against a clog just in case. Thanks!

Quoting Analugojana:

alkakfnxcpoem
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I had one clog before but it was up near my armpit. It hurt for days...I actually thought it was because I had overexerted myself doing pushups! Luckily I realized it and started feeding him and pumping more and it went away.

Quoting Analugojana:

Yeah, clogs are evil and the can happen quite fast. I've always had an oversupply (it calmed down now) and I had quite a few of them. Lecithin helps to emulsify the milk a bit and prevent the clogs. Unfortunately I remember to take it only when the clog happens :( If you develop fever you'll need to see a doctor for mastitis. Hopefully that's not going to be the case. I only had one bout of mastitis with all the clogs.

Quoting alkakfnxcpoem:

Quoting Analugojana:

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Just a precaution: until he is a year old, be sure he has a full nursing before any solids. Breastmilk should be the main and major source of calories through the first year. You may have to remind him to nurse; they can be busy little people at this age!
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Yes, this!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Just a precaution: until he is a year old, be sure he has a full nursing before any solids. Breastmilk should be the main and major source of calories through the first year. You may have to remind him to nurse; they can be busy little people at this age!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)