Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing to 3 and beyond- experience with self weaning

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:33 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am nursing my almost 3 year old (in August) daughter, and would like to hear experiences from moms who have nursed to around 3 and have experienced their children self weaning.

I'd like to know what the signs are that they are starting to wean, and also if you were co-sleeping during this process and had a little one who likes to nurse to sleep or wake up and night nurse.

Thanks in advance!

Cyndi

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:14 PM
There are no signs except for a gradual decrease in nursing.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:23 PM
Both of mine spaced nursings further apart, even putting a day, then several days between feedings. By that time, I didn't offer but I never refused when they asked. They no longer nursed outside our home, very rarely then not at all at night. With both of them, there was one last nursing a few weeks after the one before, then they no longer asked. They were both well past three. My son went to a cot beside our bed at age three, and to his own room at seven. My daughter did just about the same.
JTE11
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Well, she is 3.5 and not totally weaned yet but we're down to twice per day, for not even five minutes per nursing session. She just gradually decreased number of nursing sessions over time, and also the length of them decreased. Now she just has a quick nurse before nap and bed and that's it. If she doesn't ask for it, I don't remind her, though, so sometimes she doesn't nurse at those times. She never nurses when we're out, she is so busy when we're out she doesn't even ask unless we're at home. I think eventually she'll just decide she's done, but she's mostly done now. I think it just gets further and further apart until one day you realize they haven't done it in a while and are probably all done.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:51 PM

YOu started weaning the second your LO took solids, its a very gradual process.  I have nursed 2 kiddos past age 3.  They have gradually cut back through time and by age 3 it was once a day before bed.  My now 4 year 3 month old nurses about every other day or so right before bed.

My guys night nursed til about age 2.5 and I was pregnant so I told them nighttime was for sleeping and when the sun came up they could nurse and it worked wonders.

BTW my 4 year old nurses to sleep when he nurses..only time he is calm and sweet all day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)