Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Super excited

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:19 PM
  • 4 Replies

I went to a tot swap today and found a digital baby scale!  I'm so excited!

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM
Well, I wouldn't set too much stock by it. You'll make yourself crazy with it. Best indicator of supply is diaper count. The first week, one on day one, two on day two, etc., until you're seeing 6-8 every 24 hours with at least two quarter sized poops per day. Home scales can be notoriously inaccurate.
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 7:53 AM

It's something.  My problem last time was not the diaper count (which was great) but the fact that DS had not gained any weight from the time he left the hospital at this 2 week appointment. 

Quoting MusherMaggie: Well, I wouldn't set too much stock by it. You'll make yourself crazy with it. Best indicator of supply is diaper count. The first week, one on day one, two on day two, etc., until you're seeing 6-8 every 24 hours with at least two quarter sized poops per day. Home scales can be notoriously inaccurate.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:13 AM
Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

It's something.  My problem last time was not the diaper count (which was great) but the fact that DS had not gained any weight from the time he left the hospital at this 2 week appointment. 

Quoting MusherMaggie: Well, I wouldn't set too much stock by it. You'll make yourself crazy with it. Best indicator of supply is diaper count. The first week, one on day one, two on day two, etc., until you're seeing 6-8 every 24 hours with at least two quarter sized poops per day. Home scales can be notoriously inaccurate.

That sounds like lip and/or tongue ties, which interfere with the transfer of milk from the breast. Baby burns too many calories trying to nurse. Later on, when supply regulates, supply drops because baby can't transfer enough.

That being said, it can take a breastfeeding baby up to four weeks to regain birth weight. Loss is normal the first week, especially if mom has IV fluids during labor. Also, differences in scales can throw things off.

Read posts here and on Kellymom.com. Two books: "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" from La Leche League. Look also at the section on ties in the resources sticky. If you like, take a picture of your baby's mouth with the top lip turned up and one with the mouth open, like when he's crying. We should be able to tell if there are ties.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Thanks.  We came to the same conclusion on the other post I had started (Diaper count vs. weight gain).

I've read most of the books, the websites (bfar, kellymom, llli).

DS has been weaned for over 10 months now.  I'm just hoping to be able to do better when his sibling arrives in Februray.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

That sounds like lip and/or tongue ties, which interfere with the transfer of milk from the breast. Baby burns too many calories trying to nurse. Later on, when supply regulates, supply drops because baby can't transfer enough. That being said, it can take a breastfeeding baby up to four weeks to regain birth weight. Loss is normal the first week, especially if mom has IV fluids during labor. Also, differences in scales can throw things off. Read posts here and on Kellymom.com. Two books: "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" from La Leche League. Look also at the section on ties in the resources sticky. If you like, take a picture of your baby's mouth with the top lip turned up and one with the mouth open, like when he's crying. We should be able to tell if there are ties.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)