Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing so far has been well......a nightmare...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:58 PM
  • 16 Replies

Or a rollercoaster I should say. I mostly am looking for support maybe advice I don't know.

My LO is about 12 weeks old, he was born at 9.8 and latched on right away wonderfully. We did great until my milk came in and I was in oversupply and OALD. We muttled through that with wonderful weight gain, but terrible nursing sessions for both of us, crying/spitting/choking/gagging/gas. I regulated around 6 weeks, when I thought we were doing much better. About a week later he started clicking while nursing, during the whole session, so intaking air means gas/burping/crying. Again weight gain is still great. But miserable nursing sessions (He always has been a great nurser in the overnight hours however)

During this time, I discovered a possible lip tie, which has been acknowledged by an LC but was ruled out as a cause of the clicking (she thinks he started it after the oversupply regulation and now does it on purpose???).

So we struggle through those 5 weeks or so with latching and unlatching and burping and more miserable nursing sessions for both of us. I continued to just work on getting him latched deeper. Then finally it seemed like the clicking wasn't an issue, he was doing it less and intaking less air, we were doing great for about a week, I thought this is it we made it! 

Until the last three days, I literally feel like my supply is dropping, I know you guys here this all the time. So now he nurses through the first letdown which happens almost immediately, then nurses fine for a couple minutes, then he cries unlatches wants to latch, sucks, unlatches cries. I feel he is frustrated with the now slower flow. But it takes forever for him to stimulate another let down, I do breast comperssions, switch him back and forth in hopes he will be satisfied, but seriously my breasts feel deflated, and they are starting to get sore from compressions. Also he started sleeping 9-4am nursing then sleeping for another 3 about a week ago. He has been a great night sleeper from the beginning. He eats at least every three hours during the day. I have been trying to add in a feeding in the evening to up my evening supply but I am not sure that is the answer. I just feel so confused and like I can't read him. I successfully bf my other boys and I just feel so bad for him that he has had to deal with all this. 

I am sorry this is so long, but I guess I am wondering if this is still lip tie related, maybe hes just a sensitive nurser, he will get used to the flow, could it have soemthing to do with his recent longer stretches at night?.......ugh just tell me it will get better  ;). I also don't want to do anything with his lip if it isn't necessary.....would you have it looked at, the LC thought his latch looked ok, I am on the fence...

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Clicking can be caused by oversupply, sounds like he got used to the overactive letdown not that you fully regulated..theres a HUGE regulatin at 12 an 16 weeks, in fact thats why a lot of moms start solids or supplementing around 4 months!

Watch those diapers...if you get 6 total in a day then supply is fine.  Nurse on demand and try not to stress.  He will be just fine and get used to everything.  This is typical growth spurt while regulating behavior.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM
I agree with Tabitha!^^^
Just one more thing... If there really IS an upper lip tie, there is most likely also a posterior tongue tie which can be causing a milk transfer issue.
Mammacra
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:49 AM
I would investigate the lip issue further. Ouch all I can say Is if possible see baby's hunger cues pump get good let down with the pump, then nurse to avoid the fire hose. Do not settle for a bad latch which honestly is easier said than done! But once you have gotten the initial let down its easier to latch, and relatch & so on until there's no pain! P.s. my daughter is 3.5 months old but as soon as we have a breastfeeding rhythm things change! Good luck! This is my 5tg bf baby I ebf until my babes self wean!
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:41 AM
I would investigate both the lip tie and the posterior tongue tie that likely accompanies it. That could be affecting latch and transfer, and also may be why he had such a difficult time dealing with you oal. If it's impacting transfer, it won't take long for you to go from normal regulated supply, to low supply, to failure to thrive.
IrishIz
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:28 AM

The first thing I would do is have him assessed for a tongue tie and have that ULT re-assessed.  

The coming off and going back on...could be tie related, could be wanting that fast flow back (he will eventually get over this) or a growth spurt.  Output fine?  

Get the tongue looked at!!!

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 4:57 PM
He is also at the three-month growth spurt. Do look at the section on ties in the resources sticky. There are pictures, links and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties. Ties not only impact nursing, but can cause dental, speech and food texture/swallowing issues down the road.
masesmom
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Thank you everyone! I hadn't really thought that he could be reaching the three month spurt already. I'm just ready for happy nursing sessions...,..I am going to dig deeper into the ties.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Also, try reclined nursing: you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Side-lying works, too.
SissyMacK
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:50 PM

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time with this little one.  I would certainly go to the doctor and have things checked out, but in the meantime don't be too hard on yourself.  You're doing a great job. 

NoraDun
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:02 PM

No advice but I feel your pain! When I had my daughter I went through a heck of a time. It took us 6 months before we actually were able to enjoy nursing and once or twice I just cried because I was so ready to give up (and I am SOOOO breastfeeding) My daughter always clucked, she had a slight tongue tie and a lip tie. I think hers was more so on purpose. We went through the sore nipples because of it though, and the thrush, and my nipples bled, and oh my goodness it was horrible. Anyway I just stuck with it and it got better eventually! 

My son who I currently nurse has a cluck sometimes as well. But I have never had any pain from his latch, and he always gained well. So I never worried about it. It just sucks when nursing in public because he sounds like a calf nursing off the tit LOL 

Anyway I am no help, but good luck and stick with it. It will get better

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)