Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:10 PM
  • 30 Replies
With my three children I've never done it.. but with the baby on the way thinking about breastfeeding. . Ideas
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Indy3000
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:12 PM

what were your reasons for not bf'ing the first three? I say go for it or at least try it out

Emmybrown
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Idk just didn't like the idea. . But know im looking into

Quoting Indy3000:

what were your reasons for not bf'ing the first three? I say go for it or at least try it out

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Ideas?  What are you looking for?  You mean...thoughts on trying it? YES!  Please do.  Go for it.

Luvmy2babies22
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Breastfeeding can be on a spectrum, not all or nothing. I breastfeed but my babies all took bottles of pumped milk or formula. I always have a bottle on hand for situations where I would rather not nurse for whatever reason.

No harm in trying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:40 PM
The best thing to do is to read and learn before you make any decisions. Start with the FAQ/resources sticky post at the top of the page and kellymom.com. Come here and ask anything and everything that comes to mind.
Emmybrown
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 5:53 AM
Im also looking into pumping because I don't know much about pumping and im going back to work so I think pumping is the best

Quoting Luvmy2babies22: Breastfeeding can be on a spectrum, not all or nothing. I breastfeed but my babies all took bottles of pumped milk or formula. I always have a bottle on hand for situations where I would rather not nurse for whatever reason.

No harm in trying.
Emmybrown
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 5:54 AM
Thanks

Quoting aehanrahan: The best thing to do is to read and learn before you make any decisions. Start with the FAQ/resources sticky post at the top of the page and kellymom.com. Come here and ask anything and everything that comes to mind.
kajira
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I exclusively pump (For right now, baby's in the nicu still - 14 weeks today and counting.) and while you can do that too - you'd need a good pump and to be pretty dedicated to keeping on top of it, with out a baby nursing to help stimulate, a pump just doesn't do a very good job compared to a baby nursing.

There's a lot of benefits to breastfeeding, including not hauling around all the parts for bottles and cleaning things - as you've probably experienced having to do with your older babies. Being able to get more sleep since you can just pull a boob out and go back to sleep faster after baby eats in the middle of the night, no getting up and stumbling around washing things at 2am.

It's good that your asking about it. I would say that it's worth trying, but you need to give it a good 2-3 months before really making your mind up because it takes about 3 months to get your milk to start regulating and baby and you to figure out "how" to do it together, and each baby is different that there's a learning curve in the beginning whether it's your first baby you nurse, or your 10th. You have to find positions that work for you and baby, if there's any issues with baby that might cause a problem you have to fix, if there's any milk issues you need to work on (like avoiding dairy) 

All in all, there's a lot of benefits to it - the "free" factor is nice especially if you end up pumping at work, because you'll save quite a bit on formula if you pump and just nurse when your with baby.

Emmybrown
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:35 AM
Question can you pump and breast feed or is it like one or the other?? And how much are pump's. .. idk just scared what If it hurts or I dont make milk

Quoting kajira:

I exclusively pump (For right now, baby's in the nicu still - 14 weeks today and counting.) and while you can do that too - you'd need a good pump and to be pretty dedicated to keeping on top of it, with out a baby nursing to help stimulate, a pump just doesn't do a very good job compared to a baby nursing.

There's a lot of benefits to breastfeeding, including not hauling around all the parts for bottles and cleaning things - as you've probably experienced having to do with your older babies. Being able to get more sleep since you can just pull a boob out and go back to sleep faster after baby eats in the middle of the night, no getting up and stumbling around washing things at 2am.

It's good that your asking about it. I would say that it's worth trying, but you need to give it a good 2-3 months before really making your mind up because it takes about 3 months to get your milk to start regulating and baby and you to figure out "how" to do it together, and each baby is different that there's a learning curve in the beginning whether it's your first baby you nurse, or your 10th. You have to find positions that work for you and baby, if there's any issues with baby that might cause a problem you have to fix, if there's any milk issues you need to work on (like avoiding dairy) 

All in all, there's a lot of benefits to it - the "free" factor is nice especially if you end up pumping at work, because you'll save quite a bit on formula if you pump and just nurse when your with baby.

sjenkins8208
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't breastfeed my first. I tried and quit before we even left the hospital. It hurt a TON! He wouldn't/couldn't latch correctly and they had me try a nipple shield....my nipples were cracked and bleeding by day two and I wa done.

But after spending $75+ on formula a week, I decided I'd get better advice and actually take a class at my hospital before baby number two was born. He's completely different! He latched instantly and even though I was prepared for extreme pain for four weeks it doesn't even hurt! Like not at all.

He's choking down as I type this. So my best advice is to take a class and make sure you talk to a lactation consultant before you leave the hospital and just give it a go..,.you might be pleasantly surprised :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN