Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Jaundice

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:16 PM
  • 16 Replies

A friend just had her baby, and was told breastfeeding exaserbates jaundice, so she was even more confident in her choice to formula feed. No judgement, but was just curious for other opinions. My son was almost high level jaundice and it took forever (it felt like) to get him to not be yellow! I was never explained how jaundice affects baby or what itb actually is, so I'm also headed over to google LOL

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovebugs_mom906
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:20 PM
My son was jaundice - technically still is I guess. My understanding is the it can take longer to get rid of jaundice while breast feeding, only because you are waiting for milk to come in right after birth. My son is 15 days old and still a little yellow, but his doc is not concerned.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Jaundice takes longer to go away with formula because it takes longer to digest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Breastfeeding is actually the best thing for jaundice because colostrum and breastmilk are nature's best laxatives especially for clearing the meconium.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
It generally takes longer for bilirubin levels to come down with breastfeeding but that's NOT a bad thing. Everyone has become so afraid of elevated bilirubin levels and they don't need to be. Giving formula will quickly bring the levels down but as soon as you stop, they shoot back up. This alone should tell everyone it's a natural process that's meant to occur. My son had breastmilk jaundice and it didn't go away until around 2 months old. His bili levels were up to around 18 at one point but I never gave him formula. Bilirubin is an antioxidant and is not harmful below a level of around 25. There has never ever been an instance of brain damage in a baby with breastmilk jaundice.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I also wanted to clear up that breastmilk does not "exacerbate" jaundice. Jaundice is the yellow color that occurs when red blood cells break down (because of the bilirubin that is produced). Babies are born with an abundance of rbc's from their mother and when those are broken down, the bilirubin is flushed out in pee and poop. The quicker you can get nourishment into their system, the faster you can get rid of the bilirubin. So, breastfeeding doesn't exacerbate anything; it just takes a little longer to produce the volume to flush it out.
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Oh my goodness....she was given such bad information.

Sometimes babies who are breastfed do have some higher levels...but not dangerous levels.  This is NORMAL!  We are a society of so much abnormality we forget what is normal.  

White, chunky, formula fed babies growing at massive rates and sleeping through the night instantly...not normal.  We can thank formula for many of the abnormalities...

jrsmommy0427
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Her levels were that high I believe. I forgot to mention, idk if it matters? But the baby's blood was different from mom and it transferred to baby during birth. 

Quoting stepconfused182: It generally takes longer for bilirubin levels to come down with breastfeeding but that's NOT a bad thing. Everyone has become so afraid of elevated bilirubin levels and they don't need to be. Giving formula will quickly bring the levels down but as soon as you stop, they shoot back up. This alone should tell everyone it's a natural process that's meant to occur. My son had breastmilk jaundice and it didn't go away until around 2 months old. His bili levels were up to around 18 at one point but I never gave him formula. Bilirubin is an antioxidant and is not harmful below a level of around 25. There has never ever been an instance of brain damage in a baby with breastmilk jaundice.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:11 PM
My first was jaundice. I informed them that formula was not an option. All they wanted to see was a certain cc amount and make sure he had enough diapers. So I.nursed and then gave a syringe of breastmilk after nursing, or maybe it was pumped milk and then nurse. The rest of the time he had to be on the billiruben lights.
smurfy88
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:23 PM
The nurses told me when I delivered that breast milk was the best thing for jaundice, since it's digested quicker it helps the levels come down quicker.
bekaanne0524
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:50 PM
All 3 of my kids have had jaundice. My first born's numbers reached 22 (he was hospitalized and put under a light) but still didn't need formula. I did pump every other feeding and syringe feed him so he could stay under the light longer.

My second baby got to 20 I believe. They had us use the biliblanket. We did supplement with formula but because of weight loss not jaundice. Supplementing didn't help her numbers come down any faster.

My third baby only got up to 14, so he didn't need any treatment.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)