Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Suddenly stopped nursing? Updated in Red

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:47 PM
  • 28 Replies

Azariah will be 10 months the 6th of August! He has been super grumpy the last few days. Showing frustration, throwing fits, fussy, etc. This afternoon he refuses to nurse. Every time he latches on he hesitates and tries to bite down. I can see the look right before he does so, so I have avoided major injury but I am not sure what the deal is. He has 4 upper teeth and 3 lower. The 4th lower tooth doesn't appear to be coming in at this time. He does have a runny nose. But otherwise doesn't seem sick. Any thoughts??

Updated: Today has been much better! He laid down last night around 9pm without nursing. By midnight he still hadn't waken to nurse and I was leaking everywhere. So I woke him. He nursed REALLY well from both sides before passing out with a milk smile on his face. He then slept until this morning. Before we headed out to church he nursed well. Then again when we got home before he laid down for a nap. He got up and nursed again. And nursed two more times since then. I am about to nurse him one more time before he heads to bed. So he is nursing more then normal now, but really well! I am so very happy!!! And not once today has he tried to bite me THANK GOODNESS! Thank you so much ladies for all your help.

Two more quick questions...hormone changes change the taste of milk right? Could it be that my body is trying to have a period or ovulate or something and it changed the taste of my milk and he didn't like it?? 

Also with what happened yesterday I kinda stressed. My second son self-weaned at 15 months. I was pregnant so I think my milk changed, but he also was way to busy toddling to care. And my daughter selfweaned at 18 months. I am so not ready for Azariah to wean. I would love to nurse him until two, or maybe longer. Do you ladies do anything special to get your kids to continue to nurse? Or are some kids just better nursers then others???

by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Get his ears checked.... coukd be an ear infection.
svolkov
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:17 PM
My thoughtbis he is ridiculously adorable. Could just be a nursing strike. Its not uncommon at that age. Keep offering...wait until hes almost asleep. Pump to keep your supply up.
what position do you nurse in? If it is his ears then laying to one side or another could cause him pain
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:23 PM
It is a nursing strike. Figuring out the cause and treating as needed should help.
NoraDun
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:29 PM

I haven't dealt with ear infections as none of my kids were prone to them. Wouldn't he run a fever or be pulling at them. Also he had a well child visit on Tuesday all though I guess it could of come up since then huh?

Quoting K8wizzo: Get his ears checked.... coukd be an ear infection.

NoraDun
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:30 PM

He is what I call an acrobatic nurser. He will nurse standing up, laying on his side, spinning in circles, etc LOL I will see how he nurses tonight

Quoting svolkov: My thoughtbis he is ridiculously adorable. Could just be a nursing strike. Its not uncommon at that age. Keep offering...wait until hes almost asleep. Pump to keep your supply up. what position do you nurse in? If it is his ears then laying to one side or another could cause him pain

NoraDun
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Ok now how do I figure out the cause LOL I have been offering more because he is fussing. So it could just be he isn't hungry and he doesn't want to comfort nurse. But I just don't know what else to do to help him :( 

Quoting aehanrahan: It is a nursing strike. Figuring out the cause and treating as needed should help.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
It could be teething, ear infection, not feeling well, etc. You really can only figure it out by elimination. Try teething remedies and go from there.
He could also just be more interested in exploring the world than nursing for now. Just keep offering.

Quoting NoraDun:

Ok now how do I figure out the cause LOL I have been offering more because he is fussing. So it could just be he isn't hungry and he doesn't want to comfort nurse. But I just don't know what else to do to help him :( 

Quoting aehanrahan: It is a nursing strike. Figuring out the cause and treating as needed should help.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I would give him a dose of infant ibuprofen, and something cold to chew on. Try some breastmilk drops in his nose. Steam up the bathroom, try nursing in a tub of warm water.
Merrick17
by Corrine on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:32 PM
I posted about this the other day, except my lo has managed to do damage. It's teething combined with a slight nursing strike. I am not offering frequently, I always did before, she is a snacker and did and nurse usually once an hour and has sips here and there. I'm waiting it out. I saw a new tooth in addition to teeth 4&5 yesterday trying to cut through. It's been a really rough week :( I've been pumping if I feel full. She won't take milk from the sippy or bottle either.

Your son is gorgeous by the way. Absolutely adorable.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Some kids get fevers with ear infections, some don't. Mine never did. Ear pulling is not a symptom of ear infection--50% of the time kids who are pulling at their ears do not have any infection. They can crop up quickly, especially with a cold.

Quoting NoraDun:

I haven't dealt with ear infections as none of my kids were prone to them. Wouldn't he run a fever or be pulling at them. Also he had a well child visit on Tuesday all though I guess it could of come up since then huh?

Quoting K8wizzo: Get his ears checked.... coukd be an ear infection.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)