Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this normal?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:27 AM
  • 10 Replies
My ds had his birthday July 8th and we've successfully been nursing for over a year now! :)

My question is though is that we do cosleep but he still wakes up at least 4-5 times to comfort nurse. I haven't gotten a full night's sleep without interruption for a year. Is this normal for him to be waking up so often?
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TardisBlue
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
My oldest son woke up about every hour or so for the first three years. I was just so happy that he started sleeping an hour straight when he was 12 months. Some kids just wake up often, and need some contact to feel reassured and safe.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Mine were still nursing frequently, and at night also, right around the first birthday. They dropped down to once or twice a night around eighteen months. It has more to do with the baby's personality than anything else. However, being sure to offer often during the day, up to bedtime, may help.
skittlebeans88
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Oh he nurses all day still. Thank you both for the responses!
Exsxfxy
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine was born July 20, and on a good night he's awake 4-5 times. Some nights are much worse. Good luck!

Mom_to_Lincoln
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM

some babies just dont seep as well as others. my oldest ds woke up during the night to nurse until he I night weaned him at 21 months. I triedto night wean him earlier at 18 months but he was just not ready yet. But by 21 months I was really ready for a full nights sleep so I looked up some good tips and had him night weaned without any crying at all. my second ds was a great sleeper and actually completly weaned himself by 12 months.  I was a bit sad it ended so soon but he had been sleeping though the night for months before and loved to eat solids so it did not surprise me.

Analugojana
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Yes, completely normal. We try to give some filing foods like banana (not heavy though). That usually buys us a few more hours at the beginning of the night.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Normal in my house. I have one weird kid that hit five hour night stretches at 8 months but my other 3 were waking at least 3-6 times a night until they were 18 months old when I night weaned intentionally.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Yeah its pretty normal when they are right there nearby to nurse easily.  My sons birthday is tomorrow and he nurses 2 times at night becuase I am working at mving him away from me at night more.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Yes.

Death. Taxes. NEV ER sleeping a full night again. The three guarantees of motherhood! (Mine is nearly 15 years old, and I can vouch for the third. My mother was right, as always.)

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Yes. My almost 16 month old is doing the same. I'm 9 weeks pregnant & seriously considering night weaning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)