Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding & menstrual cycles

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:33 PM
  • 7 Replies
I heard that breastfeeding can stop your period, or mess up your cycle in general.

DD (4 months) is exclusively breastfed. I got my period about 2.5 months after she was born. I haven't gotten it again in over a 1.5 months.

Just wondering if that was normal? How long will it come and go like this?
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MIA0223
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM
I am almost 19 months pp and still messed up, lol.
I got my first af 14 months pp, and it's so irregular since!

With my first I got it back 15 months pp but it was normal from then on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:48 PM
When I finally did get my cycles back (at 26mo pp) they ranged from 17-45 days with no rhyme of reason. Breastfeeding hormones make "abnormal" kind of normal.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:49 PM
And they were like that for over a year, even after weaning, until I got pregnant on a weird day 11 ovulation cycle. ;-)
carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:49 PM
I got my first period when DS was 4.5 mo. Second wasn't until he was 7.5mo. And then the third at 8.5 mo.
ladyraven16
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:56 PM
I got my first at 3mo pp, had one 26 days later which is normal for me. Then missed the next and found out I was pregnant. I'm 6mo pp now and 8 weeks pregnant still nursing.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:36 PM
It's normal, and part of the protective effect against female cancers. There's a wide range of normal. Mine started and stopped with my first baby (was not fully educated with him) but stayed stopped for nine months with my second. Some moms stay stopped the whole time they are EBF around the clock (no bottles, pacifiers or solids).
gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Normal. And it will happen throughout nursing and possibly beyond. My cycle changed from 30+ days to 28 daus like clockwork, and I HATE it. I turn 51 in a few weeks and hope I get menopause for my birthday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)