Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iron Supplementation

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:10 PM
  • 7 Replies

My pediatrician recommended iron supplementation for my 12 month old son because his iron is pretty low. I am still breastfeeding and I imagine if his is low it's because I'm not giving him enough. He eats solid foods, but not a lot of meat or spinach. How much iron should I take to increase both our supplies? I bought the stuff she said to give him but he doesn't like it because it tastes awful. Any other suggestions? I just think supplementing myself would be easier than supplementing him and would help both of us at the same time.

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mamabens
by Miranda on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:22 PM

How did ped determine low iron? Finger prick? Those are notoriously wrong.what were the numbers? As far as food, cook everything he eats in cast iron. I wouldn't take the supp. Dr gave either, it's made by formula companies and is full of unecessary junk. 

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:30 PM
Combine meat, spinach and fruit. Is your own iron low? I would encourage him to nurse before solids for a while longer. Look up "iron-rich foods" on Kellymom.com. Have they based it on a finger prick or an actual blood draw? What number did they get?
JodyR82
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:55 PM

It was based on a finger stick and the number was like 7 something. Normal is above 12.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:00 PM
9 out of 10 times a finger prick is inaccurate. It needs to be an actual draw before I would supplement.

Quoting JodyR82:

It was based on a finger stick and the number was like 7 something. Normal is above 12.

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:13 PM
I've read studies where the prick one finger and get one number and prick the other and get a significantly different number. The blood prick would only serve as a screening for a real draw before I ever worried about anything.

Quoting shortyali: 9 out of 10 times a finger prick is inaccurate. It needs to be an actual draw before I would supplement.

Quoting JodyR82:

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Yep. If doctor is worried ask for a blood test and go from there. If it is slightly under add iron.rich foods combined with.foods rich on vitamin c.

Quoting shortyali: 9 out of 10 times a finger prick is inaccurate. It needs to be an actual draw before I would supplement.

Quoting JodyR82:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I would start offering more red meat paired with vit C rich foods and away from dairy(calcium) BM is fine with it lol.  I would take floradix myself.  I would wait a month and do a full blood draw to see how to proceed.  Theres a childrens version of floradix which tastes awful but its better than the other formula brands of iron as far as absorbtin.  If baby is eatting anything that says fortified cut it out...cereals in particular!

Think some hamburger and a kiwi, liver and tomato, steak and mandarin oranges....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)