Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Twelve month nutrition

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:25 PM
  • 15 Replies

My twelve month old is not interested in many foods, let alone healthy foods. I'm just wondering at what point is it a concern? Should I be offering three meals everyday even though he refuses? His favorites are starches and meat. 

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SissyMacK
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:44 PM

I would offer food three times a day...healthy food in the highchair only.  If he is still nursing well, I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. 

Exsxfxy
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:18 PM
[quote name="SissyMacK" id="0"]

I would offer food three times a day...healthy food in the highchair only.  If he is still nursing well, I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. 

[/quote

This may be a dumb question, but why high chair only?
Itzy0ll0tl
by karla on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

i make the effort to have the baby sit with us while we eat. we live in mexico, so its breakfast when we wake up. a solid meal at around 2 and light dinner, i try to make it as balanced as i can,

he loves fruit, canteloupe, banana, apples, pers, mangos, oranges, papaya, guava.

i try to mix in some ceral, like cheerios, or oatmeal. also, we have something called amarantho. he loves that. i also try to mix some protiein, with yoghurt or cheese.

then for the meal, we usually do pasta, veggies and protein he usually just eats a little of what i eaat. sometimes he eats more, siometimes less. since he is stil nuring, i dont pressure him.

and light dinner, i try stuff like quesadillas, or cereal with yohurt, or fruit.

my baby is a great eater but if i give him the same thing more than 2 meal in a row.. he spits it out as soon as it touches his mouth :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I would keep offering...starches and meats are fine, just keep offering.  Try making mashed cauliflower instead of potatos!

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:08 PM
How much is he still nursing? Mine were still getting 90% of their nutrition from breastmilk at a year. They got more into solids over the next six months.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 28, 2014 at 1:07 AM
My first three didnt havr solids daily at a year, let alone three meals a day, and they only got healthy options. I let them eat whatever healthy options I was eating that they wouldnt choke on. Dont strsss mama :)
LoveMyBug2013
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Only in highchair is to associate the high chair with eating and to minimize distractions (running around, playing with toys, etc). Just like the crib should signal sleep/rest, the high chair should signal eating.

I find that it helps to offer the least preferred foods first and then after offering that to give the favorite foods.  Also, tastes change a lot.  My 14 month old used to love some foods and now he won't touch them.  We try to get him to taste everything he is offered.  But we also don't fight him.

If he is nursing, he gets nutrition through that.  Just offer meals of healthy and varied food at regular times (e.g., 9:30, 12:30, 3:30, 6:30 is what we do--breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner) and LO will eat as much as he wants.

Analugojana
by Christine on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

No stress mama! Toddlers are notorious for quirky eating. I've tried the high chiar as well and it was an epic fail for us. She would it a couple of bites and then throw everything on the floor. It made for interesting science experiments for her and she got the concept of gravity under the belt but eating...not so much. Finally she started refusing the chair. If she sees me eating she comes to see what I'm having and takes from my bowl. If she like it she says next to me and we both eat. Her intake since I've relaxed like this has gone up substentially and I stopped cleaning like a mad woman. I think they have plenty of time to learn dinner table manners. My little one uses a spoon quite well by herself, drinks from an open cup by herself and is not too messy. I'm happy with that.

Try fruit besides starches and meat.

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

Only in highchair is to associate the high chair with eating and to minimize distractions (running around, playing with toys, etc). Just like the crib should signal sleep/rest, the high chair should signal eating.

I find that it helps to offer the least preferred foods first and then after offering that to give the favorite foods.  Also, tastes change a lot.  My 14 month old used to love some foods and now he won't touch them.  We try to get him to taste everything he is offered.  But we also don't fight him.

If he is nursing, he gets nutrition through that.  Just offer meals of healthy and varied food at regular times (e.g., 9:30, 12:30, 3:30, 6:30 is what we do--breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner) and LO will eat as much as he wants.

Exsxfxy
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:09 AM

He still nurses like a newborn most days, which is why I haven't been too worried. But it feels like twelve should be a magic age of change or something.

Quoting MusherMaggie: How much is he still nursing? Mine were still getting 90% of their nutrition from breastmilk at a year. They got more into solids over the next six months.

Exsxfxy
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Some days he pigs out on those options. And others he throws them on the floor too.thats a good idea. I remember now too I could mash veggies into spaghetti or something.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I would keep offering...starches and meats are fine, just keep offering.  Try making mashed cauliflower instead of potatos!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)