Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

tandem nursing what do I need to know

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:52 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi ladies!

I had my son 11 days ago and so far nursing is going pretty well, he has had a little trouble getting a deep latch but we are working on it and he was back up to birth weight by day 7.

I have a 22month old daughter who I weaned at 15 months BC I was preggo but she has asked to nurse again and it really has helped with the jealousy and acting out. The only problem is that her latch hurts and she sometimes bites when not paying attention. She is only nursing 1-3x per day for a short period.

what do I need to know about tandem to make sure my newborn Gets enough?

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Remind her to open wide. If she latches on and it's not right, just ask her to open up and try again.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Also, have either of them been checked for lip or tongue ties?
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:14 PM
The baby will get plenty of milk. With my first tandem experience, I always nursed the newborn first because I was worried I wouldn't have enough. The second time, I didn't worry and nursed either, whenever. My body always made enough and I often experienced a second letdown.
MissSarah04
by Sarah on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:14 PM
Congrats! I had my son 13 days
days ago and have a 2.5 year old nursling. My 2.5 year old has a lip tie that nobody would diagnose and it's making tandem nursing hard. When she was little I just focused on positioning and we worked through the pain. Then she dropped to just a few nursing sessions a day for comfort because I dried up in pregnancy. Now due to jealously she wants to nurse all day and it's so painful and hard to tandem nurse because of awkward positions.

I have an IBCLC coming in the morning and I pray I get some awesome tandem nursing advice. I also hope she either confirms the lip tie and helps me decide if it should be cut or tells me I'm wrong and there is no tie and gives me tips to get the 2.5 year old to latch better.

Thankfully my newborn has awesome latch. If I get any awesome tandem nursing advice that might help you I will come back and let you know. Just know that you're not alone!
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM
The baby will get enough milk regardless of how many times your older one nurses. I'm nursing two as well.
If her latch is hurting you need to make sure she's opening wide and you might have to stop her and fix her a few times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM
If there's an upper lip tie, there's most likely also a posterior tongue tie that can actually cause more issues. Hopefully, the IBCLC is knowledgeable about ties and can refer you to a knowledgeable provider to do the revision.

Quoting MissSarah04: Congrats! I had my son 13 days
days ago and have a 2.5 year old nursling. My 2.5 year old has a lip tie that nobody would diagnose and it's making tandem nursing hard. When she was little I just focused on positioning and we worked through the pain. Then she dropped to just a few nursing sessions a day for comfort because I dried up in pregnancy. Now due to jealously she wants to nurse all day and it's so painful and hard to tandem nurse because of awkward positions.

I have an IBCLC coming in the morning and I pray I get some awesome tandem nursing advice. I also hope she either confirms the lip tie and helps me decide if it should be cut or tells me I'm wrong and there is no tie and gives me tips to get the 2.5 year old to latch better.

Thankfully my newborn has awesome latch. If I get any awesome tandem nursing advice that might help you I will come back and let you know. Just know that you're not alone!
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM
This!

Quoting polkaspots: The baby will get enough milk regardless of how many times your older one nurses. I'm nursing two as well.
If her latch is hurting you need to make sure she's opening wide and you might have to stop her and fix her a few times.
MissSarah04
by Sarah on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Yeah I hope this IBCLC is knowledgable too. I have been told by many medical professionald that posterior tongue ties don't exist. ..

When my dd was an infant we sought help from many people and had one tell me some babies just can't breastfeed.

Quoting aehanrahan: If there's an upper lip tie, there's most likely also a posterior tongue tie that can actually cause more issues. Hopefully, the IBCLC is knowledgeable about ties and can refer you to a knowledgeable provider to do the revision.

Quoting MissSarah04: Congrats! I had my son 13 days

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN