Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking forever to latch

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM
  • 11 Replies
My twins are 11 days old and these little guys take FOREVER to latch on! They will just mouth at the nipple or lick but it takes 10+ minutes to get them latched on. Once they're latched, the are great eaters. But it's frustrating that they won't just latch on & eat. They both do it too. Tandem nursing would be great at times but impossible until they quit this nonsense. Can anyone offer some insight on this?
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jul. 28, 2014 at 1:11 AM
I would express a little of milk, that may help? Maybe they are trying to test how patient you.are? :P
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jul. 28, 2014 at 1:12 AM
Also. Are they sleepy? Could that be why they are taking their time to latch?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:08 AM
They are still learning. Were they early? Any jaundice? You may need to undress them to their diapers and do skin-to-skin contact with them to stimulate them.
charity987
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:17 AM
No jaundice. They were born at 37w3d, so slightly early but not by much.

Quoting MusherMaggie: They are still learning. Were they early? Any jaundice? You may need to undress them to their diapers and do skin-to-skin contact with them to stimulate them.
charity987
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:18 AM
They don't seem to be sleepy. They've been doing this since Day 1. When they were doing it then, I assumed it was because they were new. Now I'm not so sure.

Quoting Precious333: Also. Are they sleepy? Could that be why they are taking their time to latch?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:03 AM
12 days is still pretty new. How are their diaper counts?
charity987
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:32 AM
They are peeing & popping machines. lol. Once they latch on, we are good. The just take a long time to get latched. Last night one of them played around for nearly an hour. He, of course triggered let down so I was leaking milk all over the place while he just played around. I'm hoping it's just from being "new" & that this won't be our regular nursing experience.

Quoting MusherMaggie: 12 days is still pretty new. How are their diaper counts?
kajira
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Just be patient. It will probably take a month or so - even if they weren't super early, 3 weeks before they hit term roughly from birth, so I would give it another couple of weeks before they really start acting like a big newborn would.

charity987
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I've been thinking that maybe their "earliness" has something to do with it.

Quoting kajira:

Just be patient. It will probably take a month or so - even if they weren't super early, 3 weeks before they hit term roughly from birth, so I would give it another couple of weeks before they really start acting like a big newborn would.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:34 PM

My fourth was a very mellow little thing, very different from my third, who was a leech! lol It could just be personallity. You may just need to keep offering and just be patient, keep track of diaper counts. I hope you have lots of help around the house :) If your help is limited just live off of easy quick foods and paper towels and paper plates for now :)

Quoting charity987: They don't seem to be sleepy. They've been doing this since Day 1. When they were doing it then, I assumed it was because they were new. Now I'm not so sure.
Quoting Precious333: Also. Are they sleepy? Could that be why they are taking their time to latch?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)