Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Tips for constipation

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:17 PM
  • 9 Replies
DD is 9 months old and just recently started eating small amounts of table food. She's always had a bit of an issue pooping. I take a probiotic and it seems to help. Otherwise she ends up extremely gassy and uncomfortable before she finally poops. She was doing good pooping every day or two but now that she's started eating more food she is having issues again. When she does poop it seems to cause her discomfort and they are hard and very stinky. Is there any advice to help her stay more regular and comfortable? We bf on demand.
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Spam72
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:23 PM
I just noticed my 8 month old seems to be constipated too. I've decided to stop all solids and only bf until she gets going again.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Make sure she doesn't get one bite of solids without a full nursing first. Her innards may not quite be ready to do too uch, and that's OK. Breastmilk should be 75% of her diet still.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:27 PM
What kind of solids is she eating? Does she always nurse before solids?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:32 PM
You can give her probiotic directly, also. There are children's varieties, or you can open a capsule, mix the powder with a few drops of breastmilk and apply it to your nipple so she gets it when she nurses.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:41 PM

She needs to nurse before any solids.  She might not be ready for solids. My youngest didn't start until 9 months and ate very little.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Eternity807
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:45 PM

She always nurses before solids - and usually right after too.  She nurses about every 2 hours when we're together.  She isn't a fan of a bottle so she doesn't eat much during the day at daycare but she also does not get solids at daycare. 

She eats what we eat - chicken, noodles, veggies, fruits, sometimes crackers.  She doesn't do baby food (the typical jar stuff) or cereal.  Oh, and she loves to share my oatmeal with me at breakfast.

Quoting MusherMaggie: What kind of solids is she eating? Does she always nurse before solids?

Eternity807
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:46 PM

She always nurses before solids and she doesn't each much but I do think she is getting some in her mouth now.  She used to just play with it.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

She needs to nurse before any solids.  She might not be ready for solids. My youngest didn't start until 9 months and ate very little.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:48 PM

cut the grains from her diet for a bit and apples and bananas thse tend to stop baby up easily

jesskuhn
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:21 AM

You could also try taking her to a chiropractor along with the other suggestions. It has done wonders for my kids when they are constipated. My 7 week old goes regularly for adjustments, and last week he was a bit constipated, so I took him in and within a few hours he was pooping like crazy and no longer grunting and straining to get just a tiny amount out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)