Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

anemia

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM
  • 5 Replies
so idk if you all will remember all my posts but about a month and a half ago laila was sick not peeing alot turned out she had a uti and the dr said she looked really pale and so we had her tested for anemia. results were 8.3 and normal for her age was 10-14. a week and a half later we retested her to make sure it wasn't because she was sick and her levels were 8.8.

the dr prescribed her ferrous sulf 2xs a day but each time she would throw it up as well as an hr later throwing up full feeds. I called the dr and she put her on a more concentrated version but it gave her terrible stomach aches and gas. I stopped giving it to her.

I researched anemia and decided to try giving her more iron rich foods and give it with a vitamin c rich food to help absorption. ex:
*baby meat(beef had the highest % of iron) and either a 1/2 oz of watered down apple juice or a baby fruit
*baby rice cereal mixed with a baby fruit
*baby sweet potatoes, baby squash, baby green beans, baby garden vegetables
and a baby fruit at the same meal.

I only had to give a small amount of food like a table spoon of food 1-2xs a day. also you could do homemade however I get wic and already had the foods.

the food is imo a better alternative because she was having tummy trouble and a hard time pooping and the food didn't affect her negatively at all.

well she was tested Friday and her levels are way up at 10.3 yay!!! I hope that this helps someone in the same situation.
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:19 PM
I would leave out the rice cereal. The artificial iron in it will bind to the iron in breastmilk, preventing absorption. Is she able to feed herself? Chicken or any other meat cooked in a crock pot until it falls apart would also be better than commercial baby food. Use real fruit, cooked till softened and cooled so she can feed herself. Remember to keep nursing before solids until she is at least a year old.
blessedmommy85
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:34 PM
I feed her our food too: chicken, fish, steak just pull off little pieces for her. she also has real fruit and vegetables, she loves baby sweet potatoes and baby plums too so I usually give her that every day but shs eats plenty of table foods. I was hesitant to give her food because I didn't want her to want it over breastmilk so I only give her a little bit.

Quoting MusherMaggie: I would leave out the rice cereal. The artificial iron in it will bind to the iron in breastmilk, preventing absorption. Is she able to feed herself? Chicken or any other meat cooked in a crock pot until it falls apart would also be better than commercial baby food. Use real fruit, cooked till softened and cooled so she can feed herself. Remember to keep nursing before solids until she is at least a year old.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Sounds good. Remind me how old she is?
blessedmommy85
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:03 PM
7 month on the 8th

Quoting MusherMaggie: Sounds good. Remind me how old she is?
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:12 PM

YAY!!! Glad the iron rich foods worked!! I agree no rice cereal, leave out anything fortified

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)